How long do wetsuits last...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
I realize that there are conditions that warrant different answers such as salt or no salt. Tech or Rec gear I assume? thickness is my case 7mm. I am having a hard time figuring out what suit to purchase for So Cal water. I know 7mm but the suits I really like are usaly in the 500 range. I guess I could justify if they are going to last along time.

The Henderson 7mm H2 Hyperstretch Titanium sure does seem nice and I have a very sporty build, wide shoulder, muscler legs, slim waist

. I also see that people wear a skin suit under for ease to put on and for xtra warmth. example Henderson 17oz Superior Polyolefin Dive Skin Jumpsuit. Does it really help that much with warmth?

My oldest 7mm is 27 years old, still doing fine, but rather thin.
As a general rule you should subtrackt 1 mm for every 100 dives
Yes they do get thinner/cells collapsing with use.
So it just depends on your diving.

And this is not counting you scraping over rocks and the likes. :D

I get 10-12 years out of mine before they get shredded. It makes no difference what name is on it. When a full suit gets shredded I cut it down to a shortie for general watersport use and get a couple more years out of it.

My rule of thumb for 3-mm is about 150 dives and I stretch it for about 50 more dives. After that, its time to retire it and get a new one.

Suits will last many years. However, they lose their thermal protection much sooner. Most of my suits last +-200 dives before I notice the temperature loss. Sometimes I still keep them for my "summer diving" suits, but I upgrade to a new 7mm before winter arrives.

If you're diving in So Cal I would recommend a 7mm for sure. There are a few weekends a month in the summer that you can get away with a 3mm. But if you're going to dive you might as well be comfortable and enjoy every minute of the dive. Also during the non peak summer dives, you should use a hood or hooded vest.

But to answer you question, a 7mm that you take care of can last several years if not 10. But if you dive alot, you will be replacing it every few years

Back
Top Bottom