How Long Do Veo250 Batteries Last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SHRIKE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering how long the batteries in a VEO250 should last when the computer in not in use.

Hi,
The battery life is definitely dependant on the unit's use. The CR2450 Lithium Battery has a shelf life of up to 5 years. That means if it was left in the package and never used in 5 years that's how long it would last. The "up to" 5 years means that it can be longer and it can be less.

According to page 92 in the owner's manual the battery life expectancy is 100 dive hours (if 1- 1 hour dive were made per dive day) to over 300 dive hours (if 3 - 1 hour dives were made per dive day)

Even though there is no display showing, if the battery is in the computer, it is being used continually to monitor time and date. Every time you start your computer up to check logged dives you are using more of the battery.

If you are a seasonal, recreational diver, a good recommendation, which is also on that page is to change your battery annually. Those that are diving more frequently such as divemasters on up will have a shorter battery life because the computer is used more frequently as in pool sessions and open water training dives.

There are so many variables to consider as to battery life that it is extremely difficult to put it down in hours and minutes as to how long a one will last.

Anyone wishing to see the page I am referring to may do so by going to the following link on the oceanic webpage.
http://www.oceanicww.com/services_manuals.html

I hope that I was of some help to you on this subject.

Now if you just put a new battery in and it was used in say one day of diving then I would say there is a problem.

Thanks, that is the info that I was looking for. I just took the old battery out and then put it right back in and the indicator showed full again. So I don't know if the problem is with the computer or the battery. I guess if it happens again I will try a new battery and see how long it last without using the computer.

SHRIKE:
..... I just took the old battery out and then put it right back in and the indicator showed full again. So I don't know if the problem is with the computer or the battery.....

Just back from a week long trip and the same happened on my 200! Was serviced in December and unused until this past week. Woke up the fourth day to a beep from my computer... Checked it and it was flashing low battery! I had spares and replaced it with a fresh one and was fine all week. Haven't had a chance to pop the "old" one back in and see if it shows full strength again. We had the same exact thing happen last year with our 180. Serviced over the winter, and first week long trip in May it went out of power after a handful of dives. That time our backup battery from the save-a-dive kit was bad so we put the same battery back in and it was fine. I had some reg problems the same day (I know, tuff day :) ) and asked the dive shop if they had seen this problem on other oceanics. He said he had one the prior week. Can someone from the company comment? I think there is a problem here.

I've had some interesting battery issues with my VEO200, last week on the shore before my dive the display went funny, ... I've had this happen in the past , and when tested, the batt voltage it was OK (3v) reinstalled batt multiple times (same problem) And was only able to fix it with a new battery, so I knew this time that it was the battery and replaced it, fixing the problem... and this on a battery that had been replaced the month before & only had about 10 activations on it
Also, I sometimes get a flashing low battery indication with a new battery when I am done scrolling through the screens, setting it up after a battery change .. when I change screens afterwards, It's OK

I'm now a little nervious about it and it's reliability .. little late as it's now out of warr

Note: this computer was repaired no charge when new, under Oceanic's Warr because of a cracked battery cover leaked water into computer

Well, deja vu all over again... Just back from a trip and this time the 180 had battery problems. The usual, after a day or 2 it started flashing low. We replaced the battery (was a sanyo - same as the one gone bad on my 200 in may) and dove fine for a day and then between dives starting flashing low again. Finished the dives and popped the navcon off, but when I got back to my room it was back to reading 100% again and stayed that way for the rest of the week and still now. My lds has not been very good about following up on this problem... I'm really bad about getting the darn o-ring seated so its only a mater of time before I flood one of these things! Can anyone offer any suggestions? We really like these computers, but are reaching our pain threshold.... Thanks!

Just back from a week long trip and the same happened on my 200! Was serviced in December and unused until this past week. Woke up the fourth day to a beep from my computer... Checked it and it was flashing low battery! I had spares and replaced it with a fresh one and was fine all week. Haven't had a chance to pop the "old" one back in and see if it shows full strength again. We had the same exact thing happen last year with our 180. Serviced over the winter, and first week long trip in May it went out of power after a handful of dives. That time our backup battery from the save-a-dive kit was bad so we put the same battery back in and it was fine. I had some reg problems the same day (I know, tuff day :) ) and asked the dive shop if they had seen this problem on other oceanics. He said he had one the prior week. Can someone from the company comment? I think there is a problem here.

Remember that not all shops change the battery when you take your computer in for annual service. Many check the battery indicator and don't change the battery if the indicator reads OK. And as you've seen, Oceanic's battery life indicator is a little squirrelly.

Ask your LDS to use an Oceanic battery replacement KIT every year. That way you get a new battery and o-ring.

Oh man are you serious? I'd hate to think I am being nickel and dimed on a battery with my annual! Actually even if they skipped a year the number of dives should be within specs. Something aint quite right here. I have been thinking about asking him to use the sony battery, but I like the idea of asking to use the oceanic kit - which reminds me I need to pick up a couple more of those for my use :)

Remember that not all shops change the battery when you take your computer in for annual service. Many check the battery indicator and don't change the battery if the indicator reads OK. And as you've seen, Oceanic's battery life indicator is a little squirrelly.

Ask your LDS to use an Oceanic battery replacement KIT every year. That way you get a new battery and o-ring.

I'm hoping Doug Krouse can chime in on this thread...
I've been using a Veo250 computer for the past 10 or so dives. Upon receiving the computer, the battery was dead. No big deal...I figured it was normal if the computer had been sitting on a shelf for months or years. I put in a fresh Duracell battery. 5-7 dives later, the battery low warning came on. Without giving it too much thought I replaced the battery with another Duracell...I figured I must have had a 'bad' battery the first time. 5 dives later, the battery-low warning came on again...***?! This time I was a little p***ed.
Now I'm deciding wether I should replace the battery again or send the computer back to Oceanic.
The manual clearly states that the computer should last at least 50 dives on a single battery, NOT 5 dives. Do I have a defective Veo 250?...Has anyone else had this problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom