How long after Somnoplasty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have to have another somnoplasty (no, I am not pregnant...that is a sonogram :eek:ut: ) and was wondering how long I should wait after having it to dive...

If you are not familiar with the procedure, here is the gist of it...

Somnoplasty, from Somnus® is an office-based procedure performed using local anesthesia to treat upper-airway obstructions. Somnoplasty uses controlled, low-power radiofrequency energy to create one or several submucosal volumetric lesions. Over a period of 6 to 8 weeks, the lesions are naturally resorbed, reducing tissue volume and stiffening remaining tissue in the desired area.

Basically, they give you a couple shots in the nose, stick a "zapper" up there, and your enlarged turbinates shrink over time due to the tissue that was destroyed by the "zapper". I had one before and was fine after an hour or so after leaving the doctor's office...never had any bleeding or anything.

Thanks!

I am having it tomorrow morning and I am diving on Wednesday...that's 5 days...

We'll see!

;-0

Hi O-ring:

I don't have information for a specific answer on returing to diving after a somnoplasty. Your own physician and DAN are probably the best sources of information. You can contact DAN with non-emergency medical advice questions at 1-919-684-2948 or via the web at:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/contact/email.asp

Good luck with your recovery,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom