How is diving in this place of Maya Riviera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s.s.seafan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I found an all-inclusive package at Barcelo Maya Tropical & Colonial at Riviera Maya. I'm not sure which town of Riviera Maya it belongs, their address is -

Carretera Chetumal - Puerto Juárez km. 266.3
Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, 77750 México

so when I search for information, is that part of Puerto Aventuras?

How is the diving close to that area? It'll be a family vacation with my wife and 2 young kids (non-divers), so diving close to the hotel is more feasible. I am a new diver with just 10 OW dives (30-80ft), I'm most interested in coral reef & fish and UW photography. I read that most dives in the area are drift dives - I'm not sure that's suitable for my skill level?

Thanks,

Jason

I have only been once but apparently the Km marker is a good indication where your hotel is situated, I think the Grand Palladium is around Km256 and it was only a short 90 peso taxi ride from Puerto Adventuras. I would think some of the dive centres would pick up from your hotel. I only dived Cenotes so I don't know what the ocean diving conditions are like.

At your level of 10 dives I would leave underwater photography until you have more experience. As a new diver you have plenty to think and concentrate on without adding other stresses.

The Barcelo is just south of Puerto Aventuras. I have reef dived off Akumal, and I wasn't really impressed, but I suspect the diving further north may be better, as the snorkeling in the bay at PA can actually be quite good. Both Aquanauts and Dive Aventuras have pretty good reputations.

We dive Puerto Aventuras regularly (at least once per year, and sometimes twice). You cannot go wrong with Nils and the folks at Dive Aventuras. Very personable and professional, it's a short walk from their shop to the dock, and the dive sites are right off shore. We stayed at a hotel inside Puerto Aventuras before, and they picked us up every morning, but I am not sure if they will go outside of the compound, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Alternately, taxis are very available up and down the strip, and I am sure your hotel will have access to them.

Diving in the Riviera Maya? 2 words WORLD CLASS!
I don't know anything about the specific resort, but I do have about 25-30 Cave Dives there and it is awsome! Shallow depths, warm water and long bottom times.

Well, yeah, CAVDVR, the cave diving's outrageous . . . but I don't think that's what the OP was asking about :D

It's is as good fro open water divers as well. They don't have to worry about getting blown out from the ocean and the vis is unlimited in the cenotes and you don't have to have a boat to get to the site!
He asked about the diving, it perfect for ALL!

Well, yeah, CAVDVR, the cave diving's outrageous . . . but I don't think that's what the OP was asking about :D

Although both Alex and Mario at Dive Aventuras are great cenote guides, as well.

You are right, cave diving, wreck diving or night diving are beyond my skills at this point.

I'm interested to know how the coral reefs are, how much marine life (turtles, schooling fishes etc) could be seen, how deep are the corals, how easy is the access, and most importantly, is it calm sea or current with drift diving.

Thanks.

You are right, cave diving, wreck diving or night diving are beyond my skills at this point.

I'm interested to know how the coral reefs are, how much marine life (turtles, schooling fishes etc) could be seen, how deep are the corals, how easy is the access, and most importantly, is it calm sea or current with drift diving.

Thanks.

The reason we go to PA is due to the easy diving. Not as much current as the drift diving in Cozumel, the reefs are very healthy (lots of fans, soft corals, etc., plus good sized schools of fish), the variety of marine life is good (we regularly see turtles, rays, and decent-sized big fish, with the occassional shark).

Having begun our diving in Cozumel years ago, we were used to the first dives of the day being along the walls, and to recreational dive limits. Not a lot of deep diving around PA, though. We joke about one of the dives, "Canyon Land" that we were initially told was a "deep" dive. You'd need to bring a shovel to get deeper than 100'. Most of the diving is in the 35-60' range, where you may experience a little bit of surge, but nothing significant.

Puerto Aventuras is a created community, built initally around a man-made marina, so the docks are sheltered from the wave action. Boarding the boats in the marina is very simple. Plus the boat trip to the dive sites is usually only about five to ten minutes. Dive Aventuras' crew will set up your gear for you (we have to just about fight with them to set up our own), and while we own all our gear, it appears that their rental gear is well maintained and high quality.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom