How important is Sizing for DrySuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cat-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a chance to pick up a used drysuit, but it is just a tad large according to the sizing charts of the manufacturer. I've tried it on and the bottom fits well but the shoulders are a little large for me. Basically I wear a medium/long and this suit is a Large. So... how important is the sizing? I have never used a drysuit before but would like to begin.

So much depends on your body shape.

A little large in the shoulders is not a big deal but too tight anywhere is. Have an instructor check the fit on you if that's not a huge problem.

Very.

the K

It can depend on what kind of diving you're doing. Keep in mind, extra room in the suit means that there is more room for the "air bubble' to move around & also cause additional drag through the water. I recently got a new custom drysuit that was cut a little larger in the arms & shoulders because my older drysuit was so tight, it was a major battle for me to reach the valves of my double cylinders. I can now reach them, even in thick undergarments. I decided I was willing to sacrifice some streamlining to be able to get to my valves in an emergency. When I tried the new suit for the first time I noticed that the air movement within the suit was considerably more pronounced. It will take some time to adjust to it, but for the mobility & comfort, I can't complain.

For me,NOT. As I learned from a commercial diver,take the suit 2 sizes up.
He was a size L and allway's bought size XXL.
That was to far up for me,but I still get my suits 1 size up.
Gives me room for thick undergarments and gives me all the movement I want.

Thanks a bunch for the input. Basically, I'm looking to extend my dive times. I seem to get cold easily and that limits both my depth and destinations :)

I have a chance to pick up a used drysuit, but it is just a tad large according to the sizing charts of the manufacturer. I've tried it on and the bottom fits well but the shoulders are a little large for me. Basically I wear a medium/long and this suit is a Large. So... how important is the sizing? I have never used a drysuit before but would like to begin.

I also like having a suit with enough room for my thickest undergarments (water temps in the mid-30's). That means about one size bigger than the DUI charts suggested for me.

When I dive the suit in water as warm as the upper 70's, I have to make adjustments to manage the increased air shifting that occurs, since the suit fits loosely over the light undergarments. I find that easy to manage and wonderful to have all that extra mobility! :D

If you're not going to see such cold temps, you can probably go with standard sizing. Just be sure to try the suit on with undergarments as thick as you'll probably use.

I agree it'll probably help to have an experienced drysuit diver check the fit with you. It's hard to figure out at first. :)

Dave C

Last edited:
As long as it's a tri-lam suit, getting bigger for heavy undergarments is fine. If its a 7 mil suit like a Poseidon or Atlan, too big is too big. You most probably won't wear heavy undergarments in those type of suits unless you are under ice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom