How important is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaducer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To remove and clean the oring?

On the other thread, Charlie 99 mentions his oring has about 300 dives, being removed and replaced 150 times?

I am using a Sealife DC500, have about 50 dives on it, and all I have ever done was make sure the housing and ring look clean. I have never removed it. A few times I have wiped it down with a Q-tip, as well as the seat...

Am I just lucky not to have had a flood? Or is it one of those things that people who muck around with the oring are more likely to flood, and it really is not that critical to remove it so much?

TIA

I inspect mine every dive.

I remove and clean it when it needs it. As in when there is a dangerous amount of schmootz on it (or "them" in my case.) For me (250+ dives a year with the rig) that's about once a quarter or so.

4 years now, hundreds of dives, tens-of-thousands of images, never a housing flood.

Keep an eye on it and you'll be OK. Keep it clean and be sure to wipe out the groove (non-Oring side) often to keep invasive junk from getting on the Oring.

---
Ken

Cool thanks, that is pretty much what I do, but thankfully I have not felt the need to remove it as I rarely if ever see anything on it...

I'll remove my o-ring and store it in a clean new plastic baggy between dive trips. This is so that it won't get compressed. Before putting it back into the camera, I'll give it a quick wipe-down with alchohol, clean it and then give it a light (and I mean light) fresh coat of silicone grease. Otherwise I leave it be. I do agree with the other guy - visually inspect it to make sure no sand etc got stuck to it on your last dive but otherwise don't touch it.

If you use silica gel packets in your case make really really sure it's not touching your o-ring - or it will wick water in ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom