How Important is a focusable head (Dive Rite Head Question)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to decide between the dive rite COMPACT MR11 head non-focusable but at 6 degress, or the more expensive, but less protected looking COMPACT H1 head. Does anyone dive either of these heads?

I have the compact MR-11 with 6 deg bulb. Started with the 13 deg and didn't like it.

If you think you need a focusable light, then I would get it. I don't, I didn't.

MD

I have the focusable light head. I think its better for signaling your buddies with when you have a hsarper beam. Just make sure you attach a bolt snap to the handle so you can clip it off to your shoulder d-ring when not in use.

I have the MR11 Head and it's great for lighting up a large area. My buddy has a focusable head and his is much better at spotlighting a specific point.

A lot of it comes down to the type of diving you will be doing. In murky water, the focusable light should prove to be much more effective for signalling. You also tend to get less reflection from suspended particles with a tighter beam.

I am contemplating buying a replacement lid and head for mine that has a halogen light. That way I can use it on every dive, even day dives, and switch it on and off when I want it for looking into crevices and signalling. The HID is not recommended for turning off and on a lot.

For night dives in clear water my light rocks! It often provides enough light for our entire dive team and they just use smaller back up lights. I like to hover slightly above them where I can keep everyone in view (important since their less powerful lights arent as good for signalling) and I can flood the area with light for the whole team.

Did a few dives with another diver with a more focused HID beam and I took the lead and he brought up the rear. That way everyone else was between us and his light was bright enough to signal to me in the event of a problem.

One more thought...

A light designed to do more than one thing, may do each of those things adequately, but not do either of them well.

Ex. the focusable HID doesnt seem to produce quite as tight a beam as a light designed to put out a pencil beam, and it doesnt quite put out the blanket of light that a non focused beam does either.

It is a good compromise between the two, but I would evaluate your needs and see what best fits into your diving plans.

Thanks everyone!

I'm getting the light mainly for signaling so I think I'll get the fixed 6 degree, should be a nice tight beam.

Back
Top Bottom