how important is a balanced reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Obviously this is a subjective question, but I was wondering people's opinions, how important is a balanced regulator? I might pick up a used scuba-pro mk2 plus/r190 regulator, which I was told is not balanced, so it will be harder to breathe if I go deeper than 70 feet, or have less than 800 PSI air.

Does anything thing this is a big deal? Is it worth paying more for a balanced reg? I usually dive less than 70 feet depth, but I suppose I could occasionally go deeper, and I'll occassionally run my air down to 400 psi...I've been using rental regs..

(also, any opinions on the scuba-pro mk2 plus/r190 ?)

thanks in advance for your opinion,
Scott

Balanced regs are more CONSISTENT, but not necessarily EASIER in their breathing characteristics. It's really a question of having the correct tool for the job. Some of the highest-rated regs for deep diving are unbalanced (Posiedan), but breathe very easy. They are very sensitive, however, and tend to 'chatter' when breathing at shallower depths.

I'm not an expert on ScubaPro regs but, after reading their website literature, it seems that all their regs have balanced piston 1st stages....the MK2+ MAY be balanced. Someone like Larry at ScubaToys can probaby give you the best info...

I know this so I'll share. The Mk 2 is a un-balanced piston :D 1st stage. A lot of my dive buddies use this regulator for their pony bottles or dry suit inflation. It works, it gives air, but don't expect it to preform like a Mk25. 70% of all breathing preformance comes from your first stage. So don't expect a whole lot from this regulator, although they are used to around 100' in warm water and they work fine. I wouldn't try using this regulator in cold water though. And the R190 is an O.K. regulator for the $$$$. Hope this helps.

scottfiji:
Obviously this is a subjective question, but I was wondering people's opinions, how important is a balanced regulator? I might pick up a used scuba-pro mk2 plus/r190 regulator, which I was told is not balanced, so it will be harder to breathe if I go deeper than 70 feet, or have less than 800 PSI air.

Does anything thing this is a big deal? Is it worth paying more for a balanced reg? I usually dive less than 70 feet depth, but I suppose I could occasionally go deeper, and I'll occassionally run my air down to 400 psi...I've been using rental regs..

Scott

Virtually no one that I know of debates balanced versus unbalanced anymore. Balanced is the way to go, and has been for decades.

What is often debated these days is piston versus diaphram. Now that is a different story.

Piston:
I know this so I'll share. The Mk 2 is a un-balanced piston :D 1st stage. A lot of my dive buddies use this regulator for their pony bottles or dry suit inflation. It works, it gives air, but don't expect it to preform like a Mk25. 70% of all breathing preformance comes from your first stage. So don't expect a whole lot from this regulator, although they are used to around 100' in warm water and they work fine. I wouldn't try using this regulator in cold water though. And the R190 is an O.K. regulator for the $$$$. Hope this helps.

thanks, this helps.. although I was surprised that you said you wouldn't try using it in cold water, because I'm in los angeles (water temp usually 55-59), and it's one of the rental regulators from a fairly good dive shop, so it's only been used in cold water. (I plan on doing mostly local diving). What happens to it in cold water? Is it known as being just a warm-water reg? I have the scuba-pro manual here, and it doesn't say anything about being a warm-water reg. (btw, I am looking for an inexpensive reg).

thanks again,
Scott

The Mk2/R190 is the workhorse of the dive industry. It is very simple and there are very few moving parts to wear out. They don't breath as good as a Mk 25, but they're okay.
Comparing the effect of breathing on balanced and unbalanced regs is like comparing a regular on/off light switch to a dimmer switch. With a balanced design you can "sip" as little air as you like and with an unbalanced design you turn the air on and off by breathing. This on/off is less natural feeling which causes some amount of stress, and is much less efficient. Usually people use less air with an easy breathing reg because of this.
Please note that the balanced design works nothing like a dimmer switch in principle, it was just an analogy. The principle of the balanced design is that pressure is ported to both sides of the piston (1st stage) or poppet (second stage) therefore causing the difference in pressure upstream and downstream of the valve to be equal to zero. With the valve sorta "floating" there like a perfecly hung door, we can load it shut with a minimal amount of spring pressure. Conversely minimal shutting pressure means minimal cracking pressure, and viola: easy, natural breathing.

Sorry, I didn't really answer your questions.
scottfiji:
Obviously this is a subjective question, but I was wondering people's opinions, how important is a balanced regulator?

Nice, but not imperative.

scottfiji:
I might pick up a used scuba-pro mk2 plus/r190 regulator, which I was told is not balanced, so it will be harder to breathe if I go deeper than 70 feet, or have less than 800 PSI air.

This is true, but not incredibly noticable

scottfiji:
Does anything thing this is a big deal?

Medium deal.

scottfiji:
Is it worth paying more for a balanced reg?

To me it is, but I dive lots. Would I dive with a MK2/R190? Yes. Do I prefer my Mk/25 S600? Yes.

scottfiji:
I usually dive less than 70 feet depth, but I suppose I could occasionally go deeper, and I'll occassionally run my air down to 400 psi...I've been using rental regs..
The Mk2 R190 is perhaps the most common rental reg. In fact you could probably find one at a nearby dive shop in rental and try it out before you commit to purchasing one.

scottfiji:

Scott

They're okay.

scottfiji:
thanks, this helps.. although I was surprised that you said you wouldn't try using it in cold water, because I'm in los angeles (water temp usually 55-59), and it's one of the rental regulators from a fairly good dive shop, so it's only been used in cold water. (I plan on doing mostly local diving). What happens to it in cold water? Is it known as being just a warm-water reg? I have the scuba-pro manual here, and it doesn't say anything about being a warm-water reg. (btw, I am looking for an inexpensive reg).

thanks again,
Scott

I don't believe 55-59 would be considered cold water from a reg manufacturers standpoint considering the customers in the north and ice divers. High 30's/low 40's would be considered cold water. I can't imagine a reg that would have freeze problems with temps above 50. I have only experienced freezing in mid to low 40's temps.

--Matt

The MK2 and R190 are very good regulators. They are easy to work on and easy to set up. A good technician could set them up to breath very nicely for normal recreational diving depths and I'll bet most people would not be able to tell the difference between the MK2 and a more expensive balanced regulator. (Again, normal recreational diving depths.)

I said that it wouldn't be good in cold water because it doesn't have the "Anti-Freeze" system that is on the Mk25's. Although it does have the T.I.S (thermal insulation system?)

Back
Top Bottom