How I can start business in Philippines !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very hard to survive comfortably in the Philippines on a dive pro's earnings. There are a few who manage this, but they are established "old hands" and they also have their lean times. Most instructors I know have well paying day jobs and do instructing on the side.

Wooow ,

Thank you so much for you all great response.

I didn’t thought that I will get that much replies.

First of all , yes Iam Idc staff instructor and dive control instructor too ..

I been in Asia for almost 10 years .

And yes the plan to come and try to fit myself in for the first few months as freelance,.,

Then my question for you Philippines lovers ..

Where is the most quantity area of tourist and availability for free lance work as start !?

Thank you so much
Diaa

It is very hard to survive comfortably in the Philippines on a dive pro's earnings. There are a few who manage this, but they are established "old hands" and they also have their lean times. Most instructors I know have well paying day jobs and do instructing on the side.

Obviously that's very subjective based on your version of "comfortably", but I know many instructors who work 10-11 months and earn very decent salaries including enough to take the extra 1 or 2 months of to travel etc. Accommodation and food are cheap and if you work hard at a higher end, busy diveshop then you can earn plenty.

Just my 2cents.

Reactions: Pao
If you start your own biz, get yourself at least 2 local partners, who not know each other.

you can not own 50% or more. majority shares must be owned by locals.

If you have more than one partner they need to cooperate to f you over.

Also you "lend" them the money for their shares, they have to pay you back if they want out.

Talk to some expats who have done it and learn more specific how to set it up.

+Matt

+Magnus

Cost of living is what you make it, as I'm sure you're plenty aware. Do you really need western branded groceries? Do you really need to golf at that high end country club? (of course, not literally You, yourself Mustafa, just examples lol)

Live(shop) like the locals and I think you'll be just fine on pera (tagalog for Money).

Pao says there is not much available around Manila, Batangas, PG, and he may well be correct. But I still think it's the best (obvious) first check. The area is SUPER saturated with tourism because it is easy to get to and good diving. But that also means it is quite accessible to people, like yourself, who got here first.

Already being DI/DM definitely helps. Maybe check in with Asia Divers PG (also location in Dumagete), Atlantis, Dive&Trek, or Portulano. Or you could look at slightly more "remote" destinations; Coron, El Nido, Bohol, Tubbataha, Siquijor, Caramoan.

Asia Divers has a pretty robust IDC program.... Maybe they're in need of IDC Staff Instructors??

Also, Magnus' post is how I understand the Business situation. Definitely possible, good potential for success, but also sort of a PITA with Barangay, Provincial, and Federal requirements which can take some time and/or the runaround.

Definitely let me know when you come out, at minimum let's catch a beer and chat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom