How hard to find non-diving friends to hang out with in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terramar

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I will be in Bonaire from Mid-December through the end of February. My wife isn't a diver, and I'm going to be doing several weeks of training while I'm there, and will be busy all day long.

Tentatively staying at the Buddy Dive Resort.

How difficult will it be for her to find other non-diving people to spend some time with? She loves to swim and hike, but prefers not to do that alone. How many of the people at this resort (and others) are actually non-divers? Is she going to find some people to hang out with or is she going to be swimming alone every day?

Thanks-

Tom

Most people at a place like Buddy's will be diving. But, there will be some non-diving spouses, etc. there for sure. Not sure how many, and it may be hit and miss, but they will be there. Bonaire has some pretty cool stuff topside if she's interested.... You are staying for a while. Maybe she's interested in volunteering at the donkey preserve a few days to get her off the resort? She would definitely meet locals there who could recommend hiking and snorkeling options etc. as well. Also recommend reaching out to folks on the Bonaire Forum (Google it). Lots of locals there talking about various island stuff. Good luck and have fun! :)

At Buddy's, it's probably not going to be easy to make non-diving friends, though I suppose if she's really outgoing and persistent she might meet non-diving spouses now and then. I'm thinking she needs to get out and about if she wants to meet some Bonaire residents.

Does she like windsurfing or is interested in taking windsurfing lessons? That could help occupy her time. Windsurfers probably make up the largest group of non-diving sport-oriented people on the island. There are all kinds of things to get involved in. The donkey sanctuary, as someone mentioned, is one. There's also an animal rescue organization that I suppose could use volunteers. Does she ride a motorcycle? Some non-diving friends of ours who came with us on one trip booked a guided motorcycle excursion, ended up meeting local bikers, and when they returned to our house were beaming about all the Bonaire residents they were now friends with.

I can't think of a better place for your wife to learn to dive if there are no health issues.

For two months, she might be challenged finding other things to do.

There would probably be a few non diving partners and others who have ear or sinus issues precluding their diving, but hit and miss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom