How hard is it to change out a canister light cord?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a Dive Rite 10 watt HID canister light. I found a little bit of water inside the battery canister last night (just a couple of cc's- freshwater). I could tell by the moisture at the top that the water was coming in through the lid. After thoroughly looking the unit over, I found a nick out of the cord's outer covering. Not seeing any other defects or possibilities, I'm assuming that the cord is my problem. How hard is it to change out the cord? Or should I just send it back to Dive Rite to have it done?

Its not hard, but you need to know how to solder. Plus, leak testing it mean taking it on a dive. Also, you might have water in your lighthead that crept up the cord.

Any time I get water in my light (its happened once to me), I send it to the factory.

Its not hard, but you need to know how to solder. Plus, leak testing it mean taking it on a dive. Also, you might have water in your lighthead that crept up the cord.

Any time I get water in my light (its happened once to me), I send it to the factory.

Yeah, I wondered about that. Might do just send it back & not have to deal with the headache, thanks.:D

I have done this on an old Terkel light. It wasn't hard. However I would only recommend doing it if you think it kind of sounds like fun, and if you are willing to bear the consequences of screwing it up.

If my NICE light needed fixing, I would send it in... but I was happy to refurbish an old klunker myself. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom