How good is Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good is relative. Do a search and you'll find that people say there are bugs and they don't register the depth correctly, but personally, I love mine.

I have the air integrated Cobra and love it. I dive with Nitrox so it works well & you can changer settings if you want to be more conservative on the OLF. It also calculates air time left at depth.

Got the cable to download the dive profiles as an aftermarket item for about $50 on E-Bay.

I would have gone with the wireless Suunto Vytek but didn't have that kind of money;-0

I have to buy things in sets for my girlfriend/fiance/divebuddy/the person that keeps me safe :1st:

This includes fins, 1st & 2nd stages, BC's tanks (I wouldn't buy her the Pink ones though) & masks. Just about all our divegear is identical but our wetsuits - I don't look good in pink. :wink:

We tried to get the best computer(s) for the money. I think we did a good job.

I'm not sure how much help I can be to you on this but I have a Suunto Cobra. It is a bit more conservative than my much older Oceanic Data Max Pro, which I replaced with the Cobra. I have had my Cobra since March of this year and use it approx. 3 times a week. It failed after 3 months by giving me incorrect data. This could happen with any product. It was immediately replaced under warranty with a new one, which I am currently using. I will admit it takes some time getting used to, especially retreiving data as there are many paths to take with the control buttons. I am satisfied with it so far. I do recommend you purchase the optional cover for it as it offers some protection. I use it all the time and cover the computer immediately after a dive. If you don't plan on keeping a compass on your wrist or other location then I also suggest you purchase it with the compass attachment. Now here is where I may generate a lot of controversy. I purchased my Cobra from LeisurePro online for about $300. less than any of the LDS. LP replaced the defective one within days of receiving it.:shades:

I have a Cobra and love it. The air integration is great, because it gives me good information to gauge how my dive is going. I don't use it so that I can suck the cylinder dry. But it gives me an idea of how relaxed I am and encourages me to relax and not try so hard to see the whole reef in one dive!:eek:

I don't have problems reading it underwater.

I bought mine with the quick release option - this was what swung the decision for me. Without it, I would have been worried while my gear was being loaded into the boat (in South Africa this is the done thing) and I would have worried while it was being removed from the boat and washed. Now I only attach the Cobra once I am in the boat and unclip it after the boat has beached. Security!

I also built the interface (simple to do - see DIY thread) and I download the profiles and keep an electronic log for all my dives. Though this is applicable for all the Suunto computers.

This computer rates to date as my best purchase. I haven't had the fortune of testing other computers, so I can't compare with anything else.

AI works for me - maybe one day I'll get a Vytec...:D

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA once bubbled...
I have a Cobra and love it. The air integration is great........

AI works for me - maybe one day I'll get a Vytec...:D

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

AI is neat, but going from AI to hoseless computer is a giant step in trust that I have not been able to take. Too many possible problems for me. The Aeris is a prime example. I believe it was the 750GT if my memory serves me correctly. They had many problems and got to the point that they could almost not give them away. I think Suunto has done a good job but you still hear horror stories. Good luck with yours. Dive safe.

Mike,

Thanks for the "heads up". Being an Electronic Engineer, I am all to aware of the vagaries of radio communication:bolt: . As you say, it may well be too risky to entrust my life to a radio link (though I suppose I do it every time I climb onto an aeroplane :) ).

Though, having said that, I don't blindly trust the info I am getting now - but there is the peace of mind knowing that the instrument is getting *every* sample.

They'll get it right, until then I'll stick with the Cobra.

Cheers,

Andrew

spike627 once bubbled...
How good is these compared to the other computers.

I just met a Belgian chap using the Cobra....he's logged over 1500 dives with it. The plastic protector is all scratched and banged up but other than that the darn unit is still going strong!
I'll say that's a thumbs up for Finnish engineering :)

Back
Top Bottom