How far do you go to get a shot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The beginner photographers might disturb alot of thing and create a ruckus, but they do it unintentionally. The biggest issues seems to be these photographers that insists on getting the shot. In my last trip, I met this husband and wife team that had cameras with single and dual strobe, along with muck stick, which they swear by how it saves them from bumping into corals or the coral spinter in the finger. But I just see they use the muck stick all the time instead of trying to control their buoyancy, plus it gets poked onto any piece coral, whether is is a brain or semi firm piece of coral. In one instance, I found a frogfish and notified everyone, took my pix and moved on. The couple moved in to take their picture. Later when I decided to go back to take more pix, I looked around and couldn't find it, I just saw some uprooted coral that I remember was in front of the frogfish that was giving me trouble composing my shots. When went on the boat, I talked to the DM abt the frogfish and he's glad I found it bcuz it is pretty rare and would be a new thing to show future divers. Then the woman photographer comes and tell us that she got the amazing shot of the frogfish swimmng. The DM was concerned about it location and asked her which way did it swim toward. She was just elated and didn't seem to remember or care. I realized she probably broke the coral in trying to get a clear shot and eventually chased it away.

Soap box time:wink: Also an issue is that a higher and higher % of divers are now bringing cameras with them. Many resort report well over 50% of their guest now pack cameras. Still think we need to get a widely adopted set of "Guidelines" that the Certification Agencies, and resorts can sign on to. It would be a point to start a conversation with divers who might not know better or just value their photo over the habitat. Our, my wife and I rules posted at our site. Yes I do believe muck sticks can be used to help conserve the reef.

1.Always try to minimize our impact on the subject.
2.We will not move, handle, coax or prod any animal to capture a “better” image.
3.We will not move, handle or disturb any coral or other structure to get a “better” image of a subject.
4.We will be very conscious of our buoyancy in an attempt to avoid coming in contact with the reef or bottom.
5.Only one finger on the reef (dead section) to capture a image.* If this is not possible than we will forgo the image.
6.If we see a fellow diver harming the reef or its creatures intentionally or by accident we will no longer keep silent. We will try, with as much tact as possible, to raise the subject of protecting that which we have all come to SEE!
7.We will let guides know that we do not look for them to manipulate in any way the creatures and settings we have come to capture in pixels.

Back
Top Bottom