How far apart are the dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is how it "ocurred" on my phone.
After downloading the ".kmz" file from the link, I opened google earth and it magically had a (named if you click on one) marker for all the divesites that were in that kmz file, world wide.
The way I understand it, a .kmz fole is afile with GPS coords.
Google Earth is a program by Google, free. it is the mother of all computerised maps... the "ubermap". Try it. Download it on your computer. Maybe am ipad? On your phone maybe only if it got a good amount of memory and horsepower. Not sure. My current (3 or 4 years old) phone can deal with it rather well, my (really) old one could not.

Just want a map?
Google is your friend. Google images sometimes more so...:

Google "Bonaire dive sites"
Click on the images choice in the result window. On the very right (top area) find the search tools. Click it. if you are on a computer or if you tell your phonecto go to the desktop side you get more search tool choices. The mobile version lets you filter out large images. The desktop version lets you e.g. filter out images (scroll down on the size choices) larger than 8MB (play with it)..
You do that, click on the first three results, in each click on the pic with the map to open and the longclick (phone) (maybe right click on computer, I am on phone now) and you get a choice to download image and you have a very nice map of what you seek. Not an inteligent GPS whiz map like in Google Earth, but a nice image useable as a map, even on the phone (plenty of zoomability)

Now, you are on your own to figure out what the deal here is with any copyright situation, I cannot advise on that. Follow the law.of course.

But if you did the afore mentioned, you'll find pics / maps

(Edit: In case my earlier attempt to teach how to fish is too incomprehensible, here are the fish, but that image search & tools are quite handy at times...)

e.g. like this:
https://channelislandsdiveadventure...ds/2017/03/BonaireIslandMap_enlarged_2010.jpg

or that:
http://www.scuba007.com/bonaire/images/bonaireMap1.jpg

or that:
http://www.scuba007.com/bonaire/images/bonaireMap2.jpg

and maybe a nice article / blog in which two are contained:
SCUBA 007 -- INDONESIA TRAVEL NOTES --

or...

Last edited:
On Bonaire one thing you want to avoid is leaving your dive gear or personal stuff in your vehicle. Thefts from cars left unattended are all too common. A little caution and thinking ahead will save you some problems.

Our group had Buddy's breakfast plan, but not the lunches. Instead we stopped for lunch at a couple different local sandwich shops or pizza joints after our morning dives. The ones we chose always had outside seating so we could keep an eye on our trucks with the gear inside. Alternatively, we would drop our gear off at Buddy's, then go back out to lunch in town, or at one of the road side places. That's what worked for us, and we liked the variety of the different restaurants.

BTW, I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Buddy's. I'd go back to Buddy's just for that.

Have a great trip. We hope you enjoy Bonaire as much as we did.

As you can see from looking at maps, dive sites are distributed all along the coast north and south of Kralendijk, mostly within a half hour drive of town, so you should be able to find time after your morning dives to return to town for lunch in one of the many restaurants. Unless you're one of those dive-dive-dive people who must pack in as many dives per day as possible and strategically choose your sites, and except for the days you decide to loop up through northern sites on the one-way road, you can always find time to go almost anywhere you want for lunch. Even on a northern excursion day, you can stop in Rincon after your morning dives. Nevertheless, being thrifty and preferring not to drive all over the place, we sometimes pack a sandwich.

The dive gear never really leaves the back of my truck the whole time I'm on Bonaire.. We go shopping at the markets and stop at places to eat, We've never had a problem... Now if we are going to town at night and will be parking in a spot without lights and no one to look after it.. The gear comes out and the tanks stay in.. No one is stealing tanks in Bonaire.. Just be smart, Don't take anything you don't want lose ...

Jim...

Now, you are on your own to figure out what the deal here is with any copyright situation, I cannot advise on that. Follow the law.of course.
There are no copyright issues with a .kmz data file released in the public domain...
actually I googled to get that link...

Do NOT buy a lunch plan. There are too many good places to eat on Bonaire. If you're south, hit Kite City and Cactus Blue food trucks along the beach just south of the airport. Near downtown is Divers Bar that has great lunch for $10 including drink, burgers and fresh seafood. North end of Kranlendjik there is Between Two Buns and plenty of other great places. Near Rincon is Posada Merada (at least that's close to the spelling) that is excellent. Try the local food, it's great!

There are no copyright issues with a .kmz data file released in the public domain...
actually I googled to get that link...
Understood.
I realize that although my copyright concern was not in the post I commented on the kmz file, but in the post with the links to the pics, it is not entirely clear what it was meant for. It was meant for using pics found somewhere on the internet.
Thanks for that .kmz link... it's a bit a eye opener on what can and is being done for those (including me) not on the forefront of GPS tech...

Here's the other thing about lunch at Buddy Dive.

There are only a few options on the menu. Big issue for me, since I'd get bored easily of the same thing day in & day out.

First day on the island hit the supermarket, before you even do your dive briefing. If you have reusable grocery bags at home, bring a few with you so you don't have to buy bags there. Get a few days of lunch meat & bread and some munchies, and a case of bottled water. DO NOT throw away your water bottles. When they get empty, fill them 3/4 full and then throw them in the freezer. When you leave to go dive, bring your frozen water bottles. While you do dive 1, they will start to thaw. While you do dive 2, the rest will thaw. You'll have nice cold water to hydrate with between dives. I also bring a few bottles of warm water to rinse off my face after a dive. I usually buy too much water and end up giving some away before I leave.

There are some good places to eat on the island, most you can eat within view of your truck. I've left my rebreather and gear in the truck while I eat lunch on many occasions, I do keep an eye on it as much as possible. Don't bring extra stuff when you dive, you don't need a phone or wallet. 7 trips to the island and I've never had anything stolen. I bring cheap sunglasses (<$10 a pair) and if someone needs them more than I do, so be it. Apparently they can spot cheap sunglasses because they've never been stolen.

Have fun! I can't wait to get back on the island!

First day on the island hit the supermarket, before you even do your dive briefing. If you have reusable grocery bags at home, bring a few with you so you don't have to buy bags there. Get a few days of lunch meat & bread and some munchies, and a case of bottled water. DO NOT throw away your water bottles. When they get empty, fill them 3/4 full and then throw them in the freezer. When you leave to go dive, bring your frozen water bottles. While you do dive 1, they will start to thaw. While you do dive 2, the rest will thaw. You'll have nice cold water to hydrate with between dives. I also bring a few bottles of warm water to rinse off my face after a dive.

Pass on lunch. Buddy breakfast is good - I like to start the day well fed and hydrated and then see where the day takes us. I don't want to have to come back just for lunch or clock watch to be sure we get fed. Most days after a substantial breakfast I don't want a big lunch.

Hroark has the plan. Throw 1 insulated grocery bag + reusables in luggage. Grocery run to stock in snack/lunch stuff - breads/crackers/cheeses/hard meats/fruit. We usually end up with leftovers from dinner and maybe a run over to Blennies for French fries - ou can smell them. Pick up big bottles of water and once emptied fill and freeze 1/2 way propping bottle on it's side (more surface area when you add tap water). Predive fill with tap water. Fill others with just tap water. The ice-water bottles stay in the truck during the dive for a a cool drink. The unfrozen bottles are set in the truck bed to be warmed so I have a warm water mini-rinse at end of dive. I usually splash some over the cameras as well. Not sure it helps, but can't hurt.

Please - get out of the resort and try the restaurants for a dinner or 2. Nothing wrong with Blennies or Ingridients, but soooo much more out there! And you MUST MAKE RESERVATIONS if you want to get in. People are regularly turned away at our favorite places - we counted 30 people one night. Often we make them as we are driving by on our way to dive. In town Mona Lisa is a classic, the bar area tends toward local business folks stopping for a snack after work. Stop see Monique and book a table on the street. Cuba Compagnie is great to people watch in the square. Wil's is a garden oasis. Capriccio is sleek modern, impeccable service. Lola does a great job stocking in delicious one off wines (predominantly Italian). Sit outside as the inside noise is similar to 3 or 4 jet engines. At Sea - again great food, beautifully plated. La Guernica - right on the water. One of our favorites is Mi Banana, a few blocks off the water - great food, well prepared and reasonable priced. Don't miss the tres leche cake You have to seek it out, but that's part of the fun of travel! When I hear 'we never left the resort, ate every meal and did every dive on premise' I want to ask "Why???" They could have gone to the DR or a Sandals Resort. Part of the beauty is you can leave and eat and enjoy some nightlife - check out the Iron Order biker bar and the Cuban Cigar bar right across the street from each other. Cuba Compagnie has Salsa dancing night.

In Rincon try the Rose Inn (limited hours) and Posada para Mira (they have a website and fb page). See Norman for milk shakes at NoMeSa or try to find the back street place selling goat milk ice cream. Niece of Prisca a lady who sold it off her front porch 25 years ago.

...Couple weeks until our 12th trip...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom