How familiar are you with the Suunto Dive Manager?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here's what I did, and perhaps someone can help me get the damn thing correct. I set up the Suunto Dive Manager with the starting dive and starting bottom time to be the current time and dive number. I downloaded my dives and everything was fine. I went to manually add my older dives, and as I put it before the downloaded dives, it shifted all my dives by one. I added 3 before I noticed. So I changed the starting dive number and the starting bottom time, to take into account the 3 previous non-computer dives I took. So the 3 dives I added shifted their dive numbers back to be sequential from the one I put in, but the dives that I downloaded from the computer are still sitting 3 dives ahead of what they should be.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and perhaps and offer some advice?

Hmmm...
How about reloading the program and then adding your prior dives and then loading the dives that are on the suunto...

In other words starting over from scratch... if you don't have too many dives on your computer they should still all be there...

I have no idea if this would work so don't try it unless you feel lucky :D

Hi,
You shouldn't have to "reload the program".
With my dive computer not connected, I would delete that logbook, then create a new logbook,manually enter the previous dives then hook up the dive computer and upload the newer dives.

I have several logbooks in my dive manager, any could be re-done independently of the others if I wanted.

Hope this helps

Like the others have said you may have to start over with creating your logbook. When I got my Suunto computer, I set up the manager, loaded all my previous dives (twice but we won't go there...) then I started adding my dives via the download mechanism.

If you want all your dives in 1 logbook, you'll probably have to load your manual entries first, then add your computer entries. Either start with a new logbook and do this, or delete (not just change the dive # info) the computer enteries, add all manual then add the computer enteries.

Or enter all you manual enteries in 1, and the computer enteries in another -- just starting at the correct dive number.

One other piece of adivce -- backup your logbook(s) off the hard drive after you've put in all the work.

Well, I was adding my old dives in slowly one by one, so adding them all in and then downloading the computer was going to be a little tough. Starting from scratch I'd have to resubmit a lot of details and log info into the ones I downloaded as well.

However I solved my problem. With a tip from the Suunto website, I extrapolated off the bug that they claimed to have and tried the same thing... change the starting log number to be the same as the dive number of the last logged dive. Then set it back to whatever you wanted it to be.

But now my damn computer doesn't want to transfer anymore. Every time I transfer "transfer timed out, check connections and make sure computer is in transfer mode".

*shrug* the battle continues

Just one note. I always save my profile files by changing the name slightly by adding the date to the name. Then you'll never need to reload the dives from the computer, just import the profile file, much quicker.

Ralph

This is a bit off subject but it does concern Suunto's dive manager. I usually upload from my computer onto the PC Dive Manager software after every dive trip. The last two times Ive uploaded, it uploaded dives from previous trips as well. Then I had to go back and manually delete them from the Dive Manager. Is there anyway to only upload dives which have never been uploaded before? If I had my way I would delete the history from the computer altogether after each dive is uploaded. I havent found a way to do that??

Originally posted by ScubyDoo
This is a bit off subject but it does concern Suunto's dive manager. I usually upload from my computer onto the PC Dive Manager software after every dive trip. The last two times Ive uploaded, it uploaded dives from previous trips as well. Then I had to go back and manually delete them from the Dive Manager. Is there anyway to only upload dives which have never been uploaded before? If I had my way I would delete the history from the computer altogether after each dive is uploaded. I havent found a way to do that??

Instead of deleting the dives use the IGNORE feature in Dive Manager. I don't believe there is a way of deleting dives from the computer.

Spectre once bubbled...
my damn computer doesn't want to transfer anymore. Every time I transfer "transfer timed out, check connections and make sure computer is in transfer mode".

An update in case anyone is searching for answers to the problem I was having. I tried reinstalling the whole thing, and thankfully my stinger wasn't full so I didn't loose any dives.

I found that if I delete any dives that are still on the computer it won't download anymore. So I don't delete dives anymore [I just keep a 'real' paper log as well].

Now occasionally it freaks out. Either it looses the connection during transfer, or the system freezes, or I go into another application and the dive download freezes, or whatever. Anyway, if the transfer fails for any reason, I end up in a position where I can't download anymore.

Doing some digging, I found that there is a Profile.vpr file in my "program files/sdm" directory. In the cases where it's 'upset' with me, that file is always 0 KB.

If I shut down the dive manager, start it again, and then delete the Profile.vpr file, it successfully downloads again.

I've also started keeping two dive log backups. One for right before I download, and one right after [before I start filling in info]...

I always change the name of profile.vpr after a download. That way it is not overwritten and can always be imported to SDM in the future. The profiles keep a very compact log of all my dives should I need/want it in the future.

When you have freedives mixed with scuba dives it can be mess. The SDM program does not handle freedives well on download. Unlike scuba dives it never recognizes previous dives so it makes multiple copies of freedives in the log and there are a lot of freedives to start with. I just delete them all. Maybe in the future when version 2.0 or higher is available (far distant future the way Suunto is updating the code) these issues will be corrected and I'll retrieve the dives from the stored profiles and play with them.

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom