How dry is your drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An accordian latex neck seal will fix the leaky neck. You can crank your head around as far as it will go without putting tension on the seal. For the wrists, try 'coke bottle' shaped seals if you are using conical seals. The bottle-neck seals are thinner, but much smaller at the wrist contact point. If you suspect a seam leak: This has been done by several of my friends and it works wonderfully, but is permanent and should be considered a last-ditch effort to save a leaking suit. I originally tested it on a semi-dry and that is how we all learned. Stuff your suit with wadded up newspapers till it looks like a dummy.
Go to Boater's World or West Marine, and buy a tube of black 3M 5200 sealant. This stuff is Ureathane based (like aqua seal), but much cheaper, and it's black (or white, you choose). Cut it with lacquer thinner till it is a little more runny than house paint in a metal re-sealable paint can. Using a paint brush, paint every seam on the suit. Wait three days and paint the seams again. Three more days and the third and last coat is painted on. Wait at least a week before disturbing the suit. It takes this long for the 5200 to fully cure. It will be flexible (although just a little stiff), but in every case it has been tried, it did not leak. I know of four drysuits that have been repaired in this fashion, one suit being completely painted. 5200 is tough as ureathanes come, and is designed for constant exposure to salt water and sun. Understand, lacquer thinner is flammable and this modification is utterly permanent. However, so far, it has saved four suits from the trash can. Bill.

Bob3:
For the neck seal, if you're not already tucking it down inside your suit, you should try it that way.
Huh? You mean down next to your collar bone? Bob, can you explain the advantage?

Bob3:
I have a DIY cuff replacement slideshow in zip format if you're interested in doing the simple procedure yourself: http://comdive.com/cuffs.zip
That's great. Got one for neck seals? I keep seeing refernces to a "form", but never a good picture of said form. No immediate need, but whan You've driven 6 plus hours or boated 10 + hours away it'd be nice to have added the supplies to replace a seal to your save a dive kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom