How does the XS Scuba "Gauge Reader" mask work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, folks -

Anybody have experience with the XS Scuba Fusion 2 GR Gauge Reader Mask?

http://xsscuba.com/mask_gaugereader.html

It has 1.75 "reading lenses" built into it. This looks like it could be a great fix for the "short arm" syndrome that creeps up with age. If you've used it, how do the magnifying lenses work, and how about the rest of the mask ... fit, soft skirt, buckles, overall quality, etc? I've given up on masks before because the frame would dig into my forehead under pressure and give me a headache, so need something comfortable in that respect.

Thanks!

Basically the gauge reader works just like a pair of bifocals - you look down, out through the bottom section and you get the magnification.

It has a nice soft skirt and works well. I use a SeaVision with the gauge reader lens most of the time, with the colored lens, but the XS Scuba is my back-up, mostly for low viz situations.

Actually the XS Scuba is easier to use, because the bifocal part is across the entire bottom of the lens, while the SeaVision is just in the corner next to your nose. But the SeaVision is +2.0 vs the XS Scuba +1.75 - which is better for those of us with very, short arms ... :wink:

If it were not for the gauge reader type lens, I would have a hard time ever reading my SPG

I guess I should've asked, "Do they work well?", since I do actually understand "how they work" ... whatever. I don't need a new mask, but if this is a good mask, the "reader" lenses would really be a good solution for me, and my wife. We're both using Mares X-Vision now.

Specific question ... is there a rigid frame across the top of the mask? My last mask was built such that the frame across the top would jam into my forehead under pressure ... VERY uncomfortable. That's why I like the X-Vision, nice and soft across the forehead. What's your take on the XS frame?

I also have a new camera and UW housing on the way, and I know when I'm shooting pics topside, sometimes I have to put my glasses on to see the viewscreen clearly. I'm imagining that could be a real problem diving.

Thanks for the input!

This is just the XS model of an old idea that failed 8 years ago.

I have on of the older Oceanic BiVue mask that is basically the exact same thing as this one. I liked it for about 2 dives and then it dawned on me that my vision was being very screwed up by the gauges reader part. As this part puts a odd angle and magnification on everything in and out of your primary field of view. First couple of dives in a quarry I liked it since there was nothing to see anyway. Once I moved back to the ocean I quickly realized that the things was more annoying then it was beneficial. I dumped it for the Mares X-vision which has better downward field of view and MUCH lower volume.

My vote would be against this thing, which I am sure, is why Oceanic dumped the idea after about a year back around 1999-2000. For photos I would go with the X-vision in black silicon to block out the surrounding light. as this lens is also very close to my face I find it allows me better vision in the viewfinder.

My wife and I would both give it a strong thumbs up. Her only complaint is she would like a higher power than 1.75.

I think the gauge reader part is far enough down that you never notice until you look down.

I have tried others with built in readers, and the XS SCuba gauge reader is by far the best.

If you need reading glasses, I think you will love them!!!!

You might want to try using Dive Optyx. You can get whatever magnification you need and have some latitude in where you place them in your mask. Not everyone seems to like them but they work great for me.

Mine works great the readers are out of the way but easy to use but more importantly the mask fits me well.

Randy

highdesert:
I guess I should've asked, "Do they work well?", since I do actually understand "how they work" ... whatever. I don't need a new mask, but if this is a good mask, the "reader" lenses would really be a good solution for me, and my wife. We're both using Mares X-Vision now.

Specific question ... is there a rigid frame across the top of the mask? My last mask was built such that the frame across the top would jam into my forehead under pressure ... VERY uncomfortable. That's why I like the X-Vision, nice and soft across the forehead. What's your take on the XS frame?

I also have a new camera and UW housing on the way, and I know when I'm shooting pics topside, sometimes I have to put my glasses on to see the viewscreen clearly. I'm imagining that could be a real problem diving.

Thanks for the input!

What's your distant Rx & age??...If you are somewhat +(hyperopic), you may need more than the +1.75 add it gives........

jdcpa:
My wife and I would both give it a strong thumbs up. Her only complaint is she would like a higher power than 1.75.

I think the gauge reader part is far enough down that you never notice until you look down.

I have tried others with built in readers, and the XS SCuba gauge reader is by far the best.

If you need reading glasses, I think you will love them!!!![/quote

So, essentially what you're saying is it's only good for emmetropic presbyopes under the age of about 52???......

Back
Top Bottom