How does someone run out of air???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OOA happens from either diver inattention or an equipment failure. OOA also tends to happen more frequently to newer divers or divers that dive infrequently (vacations) than those who dive on a regular basis. Either way, people do run out of air and their need for it becomes pretty urgent.

Equipment failures can be anything from a free flow, burst O-ring, ruptured hose or dip tube obstruction. Most of these happen due to poor equipment maintenance and most are preventable.

New divers, watch your gauges, get your gear maintained and dive more often, your chances of going OOA will all but disappear.

Lots of reasons ... inadequate training, inadequate knowledge, inadequate comprehension, inadequate experience, inadequate awareness ... or a simple dose of denial.

Because agencies don't teach proper gas management, many (most?) recreational divers tend to think more about how much gas to end the dive with, rather than consider before the dive whether they have adequate supply for the dive they want to do. Many (most?) have no comprehension of their "MPG", and how depth will affect it. Divers often tend to go deeper than is wise for the gas supply they brought with them (because they don't know any better, and the DM said it was OK). They don't realize how things like narcosis, current, wildlife, or simply the excitement of being on vacation can increase their air consumption and reduce the time they thought they had available for the dive. Or they simply get caught up in the scenery (often viewed through the lens of a camera) and forget to pay attention to their gauges ... either the SPG or the bottom timer ... until they're past the point of no return.

I think the majority of gas issues are not OOA, they're LOA ... people suddenly realizing they don't have enough to make a safe ascent, although they still have some reserves to breathe off of while they figure out what to do about it.

Today's fast-track education may be well-and-good (depending on how you look at it), but the one thing it cannot do is improve people's mental bandwidth. The vast majority of divers have to consciously think about the basics of what they're doing ... and are operating on such slim mental margins that a simple distraction will cause them to neglect something really basic ... like checking their gauges.

On the opposite end of that spectrum are those experienced divers who have developed an inflated sense of their abilities ... and are prone to complacency. They have even less excuse ... although they've had time to come up with some really creative ways to rationalize their errors.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree it's almost always a failure to monitor gauges often enough.

Rarely is it equipment failure.

We can easily see how newbies run out of air, but how does it happen to more experienced divers? (Oh yes it does!) :wink:

Of course, I've never had to do the full imitation of a Polaris missile....but I've cut it real close a few times, intentionally. :shakehead:

For some reason, that only happens to me when hunting scallops! :D

Dave C

Equipment malfunctions do happen. But the few that I have seen were either semi-intentional (going for max dive time & pushing the gas supply) or just extremely stupid. Two stupid ones were on a live-a-board where the divers never looked at their SPG to verify that their tank was filled. One discovered it during descent and made it back before OOA. The other went OOA about 5 minutes into his dive.

I must confess that I went intentionally OOA once ... just last year, in fact.

It was either that or miss this ...

CIMG1677.jpg

... and it was in 15 feet of water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I must confess that I went intentionally OOA once ... just last year, in fact.

It was either that or miss this ...

CIMG1677.jpg

... and it was in 15 feet of water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
VERY worthwhile OOA experience! :thumb:

Here is my rule of thumb,
if I do not remember how much gas I had the last time I looked or if I do not clearly remember the last time I looked, guess what? TIME TO CHECK!
I have never been OOA.

All this talk in many threads about OOA situations get's me wondering what the hell people are doing that there are that many people running out of air.
all the stuff mentioned. But remember, people don't come on here and right about people not running out of air. It's not really all that common in my experience, I think I've only ever seen one OOA. And that was someone who hadn't dove in years, was clearly nervous before the dive, and was not ready to be back in the water without a refresher or babysitter. (Which was offered by the dive op and declined, I think he didn't want to look uncool to his friends.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom