How does one train for the unexpected?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Piscean
The more I learn, the more I realise I don't know everything. On some good advice from Uncle Pug I bought the GUE DIR fundamentals manual. However, I haven't yet gone out and spent a whole load of money on new equipment (which it seems I will have to do if I want to DIR) or even spent a couple of pence on a necklace to hold my primary round my head (for which I have no excuse at all). So my primary ended up behind me because I turned, I guess, before I went down and the water swept it there while it was just idly hanging by my side.

Your primary isn't bungeed around your neck, the backup reg is the one that is bungeed on the necklace. Your primary should have been in your mouth. Why would you decend withyour snorkel in your mouth?

Also you don't have to go out and buy a bunch of new gear to be DIR. Being DIR just isn't about gear, its everything together.

Average Joe Diver does not practice emergency skills on a regular and continuing basis. Obviously it is something that all of us should be doing...

As it has been pointed out that no one could anticipate and prepare for every single dive emergency possible it is likely this board could compile an impressive list of emergencies they experienced or heard about.

As my daughter and son are newbies I would like to practice the different scenarios with them...

With that thought in mind I am going to start a new thread (many may be already skipping this one) to ask for everyone to contribute emergencies that they experienced.

Originally posted by WreckWriter
In this particular situation I'd say you simply blew it. Why on earth would you start your descent with your snorkle then do a regulator recovery on the way down?

Training is one thing, good habits are what will save you. Do things the same way every time and they become more or less automatic. Automatic response will save you in a panic situation.

Tom

I'm in the wrong forum, I know, since I am still a novice and not even OW Cert'ed yet. But, I have to put my two cents in. I recently took an OW class and did not get through it for various reasons (read MOUTHBREATER in the New2Scuba forum). I am in a new class now and feeling much more confident. Anyway, I was in the deep end practing towards the end of the night and decided to descend. I looked down and deflated by BC. I got about 2 feet under water and realized I was still on my snorkel (it was obvious when it flooded). I used proper airway control during the switch and continued down (yeah me).

Yes, you should not descend using your snorkel, but it does happen (seems to be more common than one thinks when reading a thread or two around here about "dumbest things"). No, you should not knock a person for making a mistake and correcting it.

Bear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom