How do YOU research new gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
Everyone has opinions on new gear but...how do you do your research?

Opinions are just that, personal views (which can be highly "politicized"). Not that there is anything wrong with that but, how can you make the best decisions on gear for yourself?

I use this board as one resource tool and find some great opinions but as often as not major yeas and nays for the same piece of gear.

I have tried Rodale's Scuba Lab, they seem to have a good methodology but lack any info on more technical gear.

Manufacturer's websites, hmmm, great for specs but obviously biased.

Friends/Shops - back to the personal opinion thing again and it seems that people have opinions even if they have never used the gear themselves.

So...any brilliant insites:confused: :confused: :confused:

I read the posts here and on other boards about the gear that folks use and what they think of it. I consider if they are doing the same type of diving I do or if that gear would be an advantage to my type of diving. When I read the negative on that same piece of gear, I try to find out exactly what it was that was wrong with it. It's usually a personal preference thing that doesn't apply to me.

Once I decide I'm interested in a specific piece of gear, I try to find someone I know who has it and if possible, try it out. If not, find out all the info you can.

A perfect example is my BP/wings. I was perfectly content with my Zeagle Concept BC, but I had read so many posts touting the advantages. I had the idea it was only for tech diving but really liked what I was reading. None of our local diviers were using BP/wings so they were no help. The one dive shop I knew of who carried tech gear just gave me the old 'best thing since sliced bread' speech.

One a dive trip last summer with friends from Diverlink, FredT and his whole family were outfitted in BP/wings. I got the low down from Mr. BP himself! He wasn't trying to sell me on it, just giving me honest information. We came home with our first BP!

With lots of help from this board about how the harness should fit and with hands on help from Lance, a local cave diver we met through here, Beast and I now use BP/wings. We've also been able to help 4 other local friends get set-up in BP/wings, one of those a new beginner that finished her OW dives in her BP/wing! Proof that newbies can indeed go directly into BP/wings and do very well.

So it's been a combination of gather info from the boards, and getting personal recommendations from friends. I don't put much trust in advertisements other than to see what's available. Most of the local diveshops only want to sell you what they are currently carrying. In my case, only 2 even carry tech gear.

The only sure way you can decide if a piece of equipment is what you want is to dive it. You can narrow the field by all the methods you already listed, but its still a crapshoot. I have been researching computers for months. I want to replace mine, but I have certain features I want, and will not compromise on. Thought I had one nailed until I dove one. It would not do what I wanted so back to the drawing board.

Its the same as everything else in life; you make an informed decision then live with it or try again.

Phil

I try to ask people that I know who use the gear. A lot of the stuff I can actually get a hold of to test out. I use the forums here as the basis for some decisions. Roadales' reg test is a good starting point but, I don't trust their other gear reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom