How Do You Organize Your Drysuit Pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharky1948

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What do you put in your left? Right? All on bolt snaps?

One bellows-type pocket on each thigh, preferably with a flap secured by velcro.

(I have the original DUI zipper pockets. My flap-pocketed friends sneer at me and subject me to public mockery... :wink: )

One grommet-lined hole in front, one aft, in the 'sides' of each pocket.

String a loop of bungee from each, shorter in front, longer aft.

I secured mine with knots, one on the inside, one on the outside of each grommet.

About 8" long aft, or so...perhaps 6" in the front.

Attach a small boltsnap to each item going into your pockets.

Snap those most likely to be used off the front loop, least likely to be used off the aft loop.

(When you need stuff you (a) cannot see down there; and (b) don't have time to dick around trying to grope blindly in your pockets...)

Flip out the appropriate loop(s). Extricate and unsnap the item you need. Flip the loops back into the pocket and secure the flap. No worries - relatively fast and frustration-free.

Pocket contents vary to some extent, by task, mission, team spread-loading (e.g. not every member of the team needs every single item in all cases), and diver variance.

I'm right-handed. In case of "issues" I want an SMB and spool in my right thigh pocket close at hand. I generally carry wetnotes, spare double-ender, folding knife, small slate that can be sent up on a SMB, occasionally shears, spare mask, spare cave arrows, or whatever else in the left pocket.

For Guru-Compliant pocket-contents imagery, click here:
http://www.gue.com/Projects/WKPP/Equipment/equip_moreimages_2.htm

Your mileage may vary...

I have two bellows pockets like Doc, but I just have one gear loop in each. Every thing is secured with a bolt snap.

Left pocket- spare mask (attached with redundant backup double ender), smb with attached spool. The backup plug to my p-valve is attached to the grommet with caveline.

Right pocket - wetnotes (contains backup tables, spare bottom timer, whistle, and mirror), scissors, backup double ender, and sometimes deco leash.

I "stack" the stuff on the gear loops in the order/priority that I might need them, so that the stuff I will most likely want, is on "top".

Ohh, after flipping stuff in and out of my pockets, I try to do a check to make sure that nothing snuck out and my scissors aren't dangling.

do it easy:
The backup plug to my p-valve is attached to the grommet with caveline.

I never had a backup and eventually lost the supplied bronze bolt. I replaced it with a nylon bolt (easy to drill) which actually fits snugly. I think it swells a bit with water. Anyway, you can leave it 1/3rd out or whatever - won't rotate by itself.

Best accidental repair I ever made, cost me like $1.50 for a couple nylon bolts and o-rings to fit.

Cave-Left pocket(bellows type)-Safety spool on front loop, gap/jump on the back__ Right pocket(flat)- wetnotes.
Wreck/Ocean-Left pocket-spools, sausage__ Right pocket-wetnotes, mirror, shears, 2 cyalumes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom