How do you fund your dive travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happy, happy times that landed me on an island in the Indian Ocean for the foreseeable future....
You managed a much nicer landing.:D

Great posts. If money allows you guys seven local trips VS only one "once in a life time trip" what do you opt for?

If you don't have too many dives under your belt, I strongly recommend going for quantity (within reason). Get your experience/comfort.proficiency level way up so when you do hit the big trip, you are all smiles.

Do not use a travel agent to book trips, research on my own and ask for instructor discount they will give it to you 9 out of 10 times, they hope you will bring students back with you on subsequent visits.
Travel agents or dive shops and even clubs get commmisions or free spots, you eliminate the middle man, I find lots of deals for divers and don't make a penny. Just get a good deal myself next time I go.

My wife and I got a line of credit at a local bank at 2% interest and bought a condo in Bonaire. We rent the condo when we are not there (which, unfortunately, is way too much of the year). Our condo is nice and rents often enough to pay for our yearly dive travel.

Don't dismiss all dive shop travel, for example, we stayed at the Plaza in Bonaire this summer for a week. The price was about the same as if I had booked it myself. The difference was that they included breakfast, five boat dives and Nitrox in their package.

I use an airline master card to pay all bills plus all purchases, then use the points for free travel. To make this worthwhile you MUST pay off the balance every month, but it works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom