How do you fly with your drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lenaxia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, searching didnt turn up anything so I'm cross posting this to the travel forum as well.

What's the best way to fly with a drysuit? We're always told to avoid putting heavy stuff on top of our suits but I think my suit may be too large to carry on.

At my disposal I have a large duffel bag in which the bottom is reinforced but the top is soft.

How do you pack your drysuit onto a plane?

What kind of suit? When I travel I usually take my Viking, roll it up, slip it into it's bag, throw the bag into my gear bag, check it through.

I use Costco rolling duffles, and the dry suit and other soft items (hood, boots, gloves) go in the bottom section, with the corners filled up with small stuff like spools. The regs, fins and so on go in the top section.

yeah, you can be too cautious about caring for dive equipment, it is designed to be durable.

The thing with a dry suit is the zip, this is the bit you need to protect. I have brought mine from the UK to Korea when I use it now and I checked it in by putting it on top of everything else but rolled up in such a way that if it was crushed (which I guess you have to assume that it will be) then it would not put too much stress on the zip.

You probably could get away with taking it on as hand luggage depending on the airline and the person behind the counter but it would not leave much room for other stuff and personally I prefer to carry my regs and computer as hand luggage due to weight and value of items.

I roll mine up so there's no bends in the zipper, and stick it in the middle of the luggage.

All the best, James

Back plate and wings.

What kind of suit? When I travel I usually take my Viking, roll it up, slip it into it's bag, throw the bag into my gear bag, check it through.

I'm diving with the Pinnacle Evolution 2 which for all intensive purposes can be considered a slightly bulkier version of the CLX450.

When I roll my suit up and put it into my case, should I have the zipper face down against the bottom of the bag which is hard and reinforced to protect it, or would it be better to have it face up with a ton of soft stuff on top for padding purposes?

Just wear it on the plane - especially on over water flights where it could come in handy (you can never be too prepared). On long flights with fat ladies in the middle and isle seats, the pee valve can be a godsend. It lets you drink a lot more beer on the flight without having to worry about the people moving logistics or the line to the bathroom.

Otherwise, yes, just roll it like you'd normally store it and then pack in the middle of the bag.

Funny... I should have known you'd weigh in on something I was trying to work out! I've been researching the best way to bring my drysuit to Egypt and, naturally, there you were!! As it happens, the suggestion you provided is exactly what I've been thinking of doing. I have one of those rolling duffels, so that was the one I am planning on bringing. It sure would be a drag if they lose it though!

It's going to be an interesting trip: I am meeting my brother in Greece. His first phD (you know, when one phD just isn't enough!) is in classics, so I'm going to have my own private tour guide. We're just hitting the historical sites but may pop over briefly to one of the islands. We will then go to Istanbul for a couple of days and from there I'm heading directly to Marsa Alam.

Hope things are well. The weather's starting to turn here, so not much diving happening.

-Joseph

I use Costco rolling duffles, and the dry suit and other soft items (hood, boots, gloves) go in the bottom section, with the corners filled up with small stuff like spools. The regs, fins and so on go in the top section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom