How do you find buddies in bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to avoid cruise ship crowds, is there a particular season that you need to avoid?

You can always find divers gearing up at sites and ask if you may tag along , very friendly place

My husband and I have been approached by divers in both Curacao and Bonaire hanging around dive sites looking to tag along. I figure that an extra set of eyes will always help with finding critters. One Dutch guy even offered us some Jelly Bellies when approaching us. Definitely not necessary, but damn, what a brilliant strategy:wink: It is always great meeting other divers.

As a dive instructor I learned a long time ago that the most dangerous animal found at recreational diving depths is my fellow man. I've had my mask kicked off by inattentive divers and my regulator pulled from my mouth by irrationally panicked divers. Nowadays I only dive recreationally with known buddies who possess demonstrable skills, experience, and the mental ability to react appropriately in an emergency. Unfortunately there's no practical means to determine these criteria when paired with "same day same ocean" buddies on the dive boat or shore entry. Thus my personal choice is to dive solo when I don't have the opportunity to dive with a pre-qualified buddy. This is yet another reason why I love Bonaire shore diving.

I'm not advocating or promoting solo diving for others. I'm just pointing out that diving with strangers isn't necessarily safer than diving alone. Several scuba certification agencies have recognized this in recent years and now offer solo diving or self-reliant diver certification programs. Whether you're a lone diver looking for a buddy, or an experienced buddy pair considering diving with a new walk-up buddy, I humbly suggest you consider the points discussed in the first several paragraphs of this article before making the decision to buddy up with strangers.

Captain Sinbad, wwguy is right that Bonaire is probably the most solo friendly dive location possible. You can get great dives without going below 40 to 50 feet. But of course, your comfort level, dive skills and interest in solo diving will determine if this is even an option for you. Some people like the independence and freedom of solo diving while others prefer the social aspects of buddies beyond the perceived safety factor.

Conversely, as others have noted, there are several options for finding buddies on Bonaire including dive sites and announcement boards at Buddies and Dive Friends. A single traveler on my first flight into Bonaire started his buddy search on the plane and when next we saw him he not only had a dive buddy but was sharing a rental truck as well.

Yeah, you can start in the middle of the night in Houston if you're going through there - most of the tired looking people on the red eye at Continental will be divers!!

What a cool forum :D Are you water monkey?

No, I'm not watermonkey. But, I am going to Bonaire!

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 02:01 PM ----------

Yeah, you can start in the middle of the night in Houston if you're going through there - most of the tired looking people on the red eye at Continental will be divers!!

No more red eye flights as of this Jan. My April flight has already been rebooked.

Bonaire is very easy diving, and if you bring solo gear you can give it a shot. but you can also just ask anyone going in if you can tag along, all the best sites have people on them and for a first time you will not miss anything. you can also stay at buddy and they have a black board for buddies, and the other resorts probably do also. I have always wondered if I could dive the whole coast line in a week if I slept in the truck. would be something to brag about in a bar some day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom