How do you decide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On BC's -- I get a different story from each LDS.

Given that I am a middle aged female who plans to dive 2x per year in tropical to temperate water -- perhaps some wrecks, if I really get into it. I am 5 ft 4" and wear a size 18 dress -- how much lift capcity to I really need? How many D-rings should I look to have?

I am leaning toward a back BC - mainly looking at Seaquest (DIVA LX or DIVA QD) and Zeagle (Ranger -- Concept II -- Zena?).

Is something like the Ranger overkill? How hard is it to get used to a back-inflation BC? I like the freedom you get for your arms.

I hear that the ripcord weight release system on some of the Zeagles is hard to reload once you release the weights. Also, I personally like the systems that release on both sides as I think it's cumbersome to have to reach all the way across one's belly with the opposite hand to use one's ripcord. Anyone have any experience with this?

Check out the ScubaPro LadyHawk... I have the KnightHawk and really like it. It's a back flotatation design, but really works out well.

Check out my post about the KnightHawk here.

Originally posted by Murdock325
Check out the ScubaPro LadyHawk... I have the KnightHawk and really like it. It's a back flotatation design, but really works out well.

I would agree. My wife has a Ladyhawk for warm water dives. She really likes it. Lift? You don't sound as tho' you're planning to surface with cement blocks, so I would think the Ladyhawk has enough lift for you. D rings? How many do-dads are you going to want to hang on your bc? The Ladyhawk has 4 (if I recall correctly). Should probably be more than you need.

Hope this helps.

DivingDOC

My wife just purchased her 1st BC Tuesday and she went with the Seaquest Diva LX. She tried the Ladyhawk, Zeagle Escape, Zeagle Ranger and Dacor Extremelle.

The Diva fit her perfect. The others, since she has a little wider shoulders, cut her (rubbed) her wrong, she didn't like it. Also, she believed that she got the best of both worlds, back inflation and jacket.

Weight system - hopefully you won't have to dump them, and she was concerned somewhat on the "velcro" issue. But with all that said; she bought the DIVA.

Good luck -

waterdogs

I have a Ranger and enjoy it a lot. Prior to purchase I had heard and read a lot about some people having a problem with feeling "pushed forward" with the back inflation BCs - however, I never had any problem with that myself, and I had never used a back inflate BC prior to the Ranger.

While I haven't had to release my weights, rethreading the cord for the weight system does appear to be more time consuming than the other integrated weight systems that I have seen and used during my OW certification - the weight pocket that slides in and is secured by a buckle.

See if your LDS will allow you to try out the BCs before purchase or see if you can rent or borrow one. Those options weren't available to me, but it all worked out great and I am completely satisfied with my Ranger.

It is funny how the designers of the popular brands of BC's think that we need a bazillion D-rings to even enter the water. And if their competition has so many, they add more and claim that their BC is the better one.

It's been my experience that one really needs just a minimum of D-rings. Mostly to clip off a console, or an SPG and the odd stage bottle or pony. If you see a BC with 2 or more per side, that is something of overkill.

As far as threading the Zeagle Ranger's ripcord, it does take a bit of practice, but if you understand how to sew a pleated bit of fabric, it's not difficult.

The Ranger is a good and capable back inflate BC. I have over 50 dives in mine and like it quite a bit. It does have some limitations when you start growing beyond recreational scuba, but you've got quite a way to go before you hit the limit.

Unfortunately, I don't know how well it fits the female form. Dee (one of my fellow moderators) would be a better person to answer that since she is also a fan of the Zeagle line of BC's.

Hi DD,

Like some of the others I dive a Ranger as well. Its very comfortable and quite capable of handling most diving. As to the number of D rings needed, I can't see the need for more than a couple per side. I did add 2 to the lower tank band of my Ranger for a cavern class I just took and I found them to be very useful, they will stay. Now, having said all that, I do have one major "problem" with my Ranger that you may want to take into consideration. It is big and fairly heavy. It takes up quite a bit of room in my large suitcase and adds a good bit of weight. As a lot of my travel diving is shallow, easy reefs, the Ranger is just too much BC for these dives. I simply don't need 45 lbs of lift, 15 to 20 would be plenty for me on these dives. In short, it's a lot of overkill for a lot of the diving I do. I am thinking of adding an Escape or Scout to use for my travel diving.

I have a Zeagle Concept. One good thing about Zeagle, is the modular sizing system. From your description, it sounds as if you are shaped like me..a very beautiful pear! (shut up, TM) With Zeagle you can get one size of shoulder module and a different size waist. That was important to me because all the other BC variations I tried left the shoulder straps up around my ears when on the surface of the water. I hate that!

I also prefer the back inflate systems. Yes, if you over inflate it you will have a tendancy to go forward...but that is also true of some jacket models. It's not a problem except to those who don't use them!

The velcro flaps on my weight pockets have NEVER opened unless I did it. With a thick 2pc suit in salt water, I may need 26lbs. and the velcro has always handled it just fine. Since the newer models are only available, AFAIK, with the rip cord system I will not be replacing my Concept with another one. When diving on vacation from a dive boat, I routinely hand up my weight pouches. With the ripcord system they have now, it is hard to reach the zipper on the weight pockets in order to get them out that way. Re-threading the rip cord thing is a hassle when sitting on a stationary bench, much less a rocking boat somewhere. Do I want to chance missing a loop, decreasing the effectiveness if the weight system? I hardly think so. If the velcro flaps were available, I'd recommend the Concept to anyone in a heartbeat.

I have years left on my Concept, but if I was shopping today I would seriously consider the DiveRite Transpak. The fitting is adjustable, similar to the Zeagle system and it fits just as well if not a bit better. The weight pockets are excellent and you can customize the harness the way you want it.

I have 2 D-rings on my Concept. I use the one on my right shoulder strap to clip off my console. The other one may as well be there for looks. For the type of diving you describe you'll be doing, you don't need more than that.

Just my 2¢

Originally posted by waterdogs
DivingDOC

My wife just purchased her 1st BC Tuesday and she went with the Seaquest Diva LX. She tried the Ladyhawk, Zeagle Escape, Zeagle Ranger and Dacor Extremelle.

The Diva fit her perfect. The others, since she has a little wider shoulders, cut her (rubbed) her wrong, she didn't like it. Also, she believed that she got the best of both worlds, back inflation and jacket.
Both Divas fit me well -- the QD and the LX. I am broad shouldered also. But some of the BC's made for men have shoulder straps that angle in towards the front and interfere with certain female protuberances, if you know what I mean -- particularly the ScubaPros that are not made for women.

I also prefer the weight release system on the Divas to the Zeagle one where you have to reach across your belly -- which could be a difficult maneuver in some circumstances.

Downside to the LX is it's weight -- seems like it would be awfully heavy and bulky to lug around in a suitcase. This is where the Zena appeals to me -- it looks so light, like it's almost not there. But does it have enough lift capacity? -- enough D-rings?

Part of my problem, I guess, is that I don't understand how to calculate or decide how much lift capacity I need. From reading Rodales, it would seem that the main determinate of the amount of lift capacity one needs is the temperature of the water one is diving in -- the colder the water, the more lift capacity needed. Is that right?

So what I need to figure out is the maximum lift capacity I would need and go with that and no more -- but I don't know how to figure that out. Can anyone help me on this?

I suppose this is one advantage to the Zeagle line -- it has interchangeable bladders and therefore can change with you. But not as comfortable as the Divas for sure.

O dear O dear, what shall I do?

My Concept has 36lbs of lift and that's way more than I need. Some of the more technical folks can explain the whys and how comes but in simple terms, the way I understand it the amount of lift you need is determined by how much weight you use and how heavy your tank is. You need enough lift to raise that amount of weight.

The cold water reference you mentioned just means that in cold water, they have thicker wetsuits or a dry suit which is more bouyant which requires more weights to descend. More weights=more lift.

In tropical warm salt water, I need 16lbs because I float like a cork! My BC has 36lbs of lift which is over twice what I need. But in cold water with a 2pc wetsuit, it's sufficient for the 23lbs of weight I need. Last year on our Roatan trip, I had the chance to try a friends DiveRite Transpak with a travel wing with 25lb of lift and it was just fine for tropical salt water diving.

For the tropical locales you say you'll be diving, the BC's you've mentioned will have plenty of lift for your recreational use.

Back
Top Bottom