How do take your gear on a plane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do you check in? What do you carry on? What sort of system works for you? I'll be flying(Japan to Thailand) with equipment for the first time next month and am wondering about the best way to do it. I'd love to hear about your successes and disasters. I won't be carrying tanks, weights or a wetsuit.

Cheers.

Reg, computer, and mask go in my carryon. But be prepared; reg must look like some godawful device because I've never made a clean entry yet. Everything else gets sent through in whatever bag it fits in. My problem was finding a bag that would hold my Mares Plana-Avanti L's. Before I found a bag big enough I used to throw the above and the fins in a mesh bag and carry it on, but this was before the restrictions. Once even carried a whole dive bag on, boy, did I get dirty looks from the flight attendants on that trip.

I can squeeze everything but my drysuit into an inexpensive but durable hardcase I bought at Price Club several years ago, with room for some clothes. Its tough but doesn't scream 'dive gear'--avoiding attention and surcharges.

The drysuit fits in a duffle that I carry on or check in (with ample padding). I always carry on a C-card appropriate for the diving I plan.

We packed everything and sent it on to be checked in. No problems. The only thing in my carry on was my camera, my extra clothes, and a book. My David did the same thing. He carried on his camera and some extra clothes and a book.
I know one person carried on his reg and computer, and another wore his BC on the plane. So there you have it.. 3 different people doing three differnt things and they all worked.
Have fun!

Regs, computer in carry on, packed on top so that I can easily access and show what they are. BP/Wings, suit and everything else in checked baggage.

I bought an Aeris travel bag. The dive bag contains all of my gear. It zips onto a seperate wheeled bag for clothes, etc... I unzip when I get to the hotel and am ready to go.

BTW, my worst experience packing the regulator came when some genius at the security desk wanted me to show that the regulator worked. I offered to bring in a big tank of compressed gas, but they declined.

Reg, computer, mask (prescription), camera = carry-on
All the rest (including knife :) ) = checked

I used to use a 'dive bag' but it was so bulky and hard to maneuver. So I bought a cheap soft side suitcase with wheels. It doesn't look like there's anything of value in it and it certainly doesn't suggest scuba gear that some airlines 'can' charge extra for. All I've done is write my last name on all 4 sides in permanent marker so I can see it well.

RX mask, computer, logbook and camera stuff go in carry-on. Everything else is packed carefully and checked.

Just in case the luggage is lost or delayed, since I keep my C-card with me, I can dive regardless (although I've not had that happen).

My carry on (actually wheel-on) contains my reg/computer, photography stuff, a pair of shorts, sandals, one swimsuit and a t-shirt.

The checked bag gets everything else. I've been able to pack so that I only need the one bag to carry all dive gear and 2 weeks worth of clothing. That is for warm-water destinations only ...

Margaret
Counting the days to return to Saba
(Oct. 30 - Nov. 8)

Regs, computers, mask, backplate/wings, and drysuit are all carried on. The rest gets checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom