How do sharks respond to strobes and flashes in their face?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I will be doing some shark photography in NC over the next few months. I have done dives with sand tiger sharks but I am a bit nervous about getting in their face and flashing a strobe. My strobe has an effective range of almost 2 feet so I would have to be in its face with a wide angle when I click. if he decides to chew on my DSLR then that would be the end of my shark photography adventure.

Any tips on how to photograph illuminated facial portraits of sharks?

Never had a problem and have plenty of sand tiger shark photos off NC. Also have taken many photos of the sand tigers in the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. I have never seen a reaction to the strobes - and I work hard to get close. Only reaction I ever got was when I used a strobe to physically fend one off on a Spar night dive. Think she was coming in to feed off my dive light and was getting way too close for comfort.

There has been some indication that sharks are somehow attracted to something in camera electronics, possibly strobes. It seems to make them curious. That is far from proven, though. I would think it would be a positive factor if you want to take pictures of them.

My husband took a picture of a smallish shark at very close range once, not actually realizing what it was at the moment he took the picture - it was struggling with a hook in it's mouth and the line was tangled in some coral. Flash seemed to startle it enough that it actually broke free at that moment. (Heading right towards him, and he "redirected" it with his camera.) Not sure if it was nurse or reef, was moving rather fast. I don't think it was intentionally heading for him or the light, probably just a coincidence, but who knows.

He had a two close approaches from an Oceanic whitetip in Hawaii, and was the only person in the group to be approached like that. Taking it's picture certainly didn't discourage it from coming back. He had 2 different strobes and theorizes the electric field or sound was interesting. (Whacked said shark on nose with a strobe on each pass to make it go away...see a pattern here?)

Tiger Sharks have been known to steal cameras. Other than that, never heard of any problems.

Saw a video during Shark Week a couple of years ago that showed a diver in the water off Oahu with an OWT. The shark was just curious until the diver reached over and turned on his strobe. The shark instantly turned and bit the strobe head. Personnally I will dive with all sharks except the OWT which I consider the most dangerous animal in the water.

Shot lot's of sharks, never had an issue. I think they (some) have become somewhat acclimated to "bubble-blowing rubber people with light firing thingy's". I've never had as so much as a nibble on either of my strobes. Oh, and I wear yellow fins, too. (whole 'nother subject)

There has been some indication that sharks are somehow attracted to something in camera electronics, possibly strobes. It seems to make them curious. That is far from proven, though. I would think it would be a positive factor if you want to take pictures of them.

The sound of the charging of the strobe capacitor between shots is what I have been told (from good sources) is the primary issue.

It causes them to eat you.

N

We were in Rangiroa and the gray reef sharks were very attracted my wife's stobe.

The DM had her turn her stobe off.

Before that she got some great close-ups.

Back
Top Bottom