How do I stop the current sweeping my past my DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A backkick is useful but I don’t find it strong enough to help slow down against a current. Turning backwards and finning can help more, but then harder to see where you’re going. I’d be concentrating on other things like watching the DM and positioning where the current is weaker. Ducking into sheltered spots if they exist can be helpful to slow down overall progress, and just get a break to regroup. But much to be said for experience - I personally don’t think new divers should dive in places known for heavy current. Start with lighter currents and learn.

When drift diving at Maldives one of my favourite positions was "seated". The torso vertical, legs horizontal in front of you. If you are drifting too fast, you kick and this will push you against the current.
I learned this while canyoning, you prefer to hit rocks with your feet than with your head...
Keeping the torso vertical also gives you optimal view forward.
Most "tech" instructors insist that the only correct position is horizontal body, arms partially stretched forward and lower than the body, knees flexed and fins above the body and horizontal.
This position is actually very useful just in a very specific case, that is penetrating a cave or a wreck where the bottom is muddy or silty, and you avoid to raise it reducing visibility.
For drift diving such a position is not so advantageous. Looking forward can be difficult, depending on your mask and on how much you can rotate your neck upwards.
And it is very easy to inadvertedly kick, pushing you forward.

When drift diving at Maldives one of my favourite positions was "seated". The torso vertical, legs horizontal in front of you. If you are drifting too fast, you kick and this will push you against the current.

I often do the same but with my legs tucked under and just go with the flow.

For the OP, as suggested just kick into the current when needed or when possible eddy out of the current.

One of the best dive briefing we got was diving U-long Channel which one dives during a strong incoming tide. it went something like the following: Drop in and swim to the mooring line. If you miss the mooring line, don't worry we will pick you up in the lagoon. When everyone is on the mooring line we drop down to the bottom. If you come off the mooring line, don't worry we will pick you up in the lagoon. Once on the bottom we will swim over to the drop off. If you do not make it, , don't worry we will pick you up in the lagoon. At the drop off we will hook into the reef. If you can not get your hook in, don't worry we will pick you up in the lagoon. After watching the action we will unhook and drift into the lagoon , don't worry we will pick you up in the lagoon.

Scientists still can’t explain why Asians and girls are less affected by current.
Rn=(ρVL)/μ=(VL)/ν

144ce01ab76e5e8a0662dbf0f5b922abfa726e9c

Professore Farina will answer any follow up questions. :)

The most important thing is to follow the same path as the diver you are trying to stay with. If they are 2m from the reef and you are 1m from the reef or 3m from the reef, the current speeds will be different.

One one current dive I found I could not be beside my buddy, I would be swept past her, but if I followed behind in her path we would move along at about the same speed.

I have never learned to back kick and it is not necessary in currents. As others have mentioned, if you are drifting passively with the current, you body position is irrelevant to your velocity. However, if you want to slow down or move against the current, you need to always remember to have your nose straight into the current. So in one situation, body position doesn't matter at all, and in the other situation, it is critical.

You need to look ahead and "see" large formations you can duck behind, and look for a dead portion of reef that you can hold onto. It takes some skill and forethought to do this effectively.

Generally, you will be drifting passively, with your body positioned with you feet up current and your head down current ( in other words, you are going with the current). But when you want to slow down, or duck behind something or grab onto structure, you MUST be turned to face directly into the current. This is one time when you need to be able to spin around and move FAST.

You want to go from a head down-current position to a head into-the-current position very quickly and smoothly. The sooner you can figure this out, the better you will be at diving in a current.

If you do otherwise and you are drifting head first and you grab onto the bottom, the current has a tendency to flip you over vertically and make things very difficult for you. An experienced drift diver knows that the last thing they want is to be holding onto the bottom with their fins pointing into the current. Birds always keep their face into the wind and fish that are resting also always keep their nose to "the wind".

Knowing exactly what direction the swirling currents are moving and positioning your nose directly into it (when you want to stop) is the critical skill. Environmental clues like bending soft coral and the orientation of passive fish in the immediate area are often very useful.

forgive my ignorance....isn't the flare the opposite of being more streamlined?
The flare would only really work as you are transitioning into the current. As @Angelo Farina said it is relative to the current, once you are in it flaring out wouldn't slow you but may actually bring you closer to the current speed and bring you further away form the DM if she is streamlined. I should have been more specific, intending to say flare it before you get fully in the current to slow yourself.

Drop lower.

Stay as near the wall if there is one, this really helps. Also stay as low as you can, but never lower than your guide. We were told once to watch how the guide handles a situation, or what the most experienced diver does. While I absolutely would not recommend a camera for yoU at this stage, when you are more experienced you will find that you will go slower looking at things and this is in itself relaxing. Your own equipment will help a lot.

As I said in reply to your last post, it sounds as if you are handling tricky situations well for somebody with only 35 dives.

Back
Top Bottom