How do I qualify for voluntary service oriented diving activities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bxd23

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am an open water diver. I would like to participate in service oriented diving programs like beach cleanup, search and rescue etc. Can I involve in those while still being an OWD? What are other service oriented diving activities you know of?

Cleanups are generally organized through a dive club, or something like a community college or public aquarium. Because they happen on public property there's usually a permit requirement, or at a minimum some sort of coordination with a municipal Parks & Recreation Dept. At least that's the case for most places in the USA, since beaches, marinas, public piers and other such places where a cleanup would be targeted are public property.

I like to help out with these as well ... I'll be doing one later today in fact. We'll be cleaning up a popular marina prior to them putting the docks back in the water in preparation for the upcoming boating season. To answer your question, we will have at least a few relatively inexperienced, OWD's along. We'll pair them up with more experienced divers, and they'll generally be there to act as dive buddies or "helpers", learning from the experienced folks how to carry and use goodie bags, lift bags, how to rig a lift (assuming we find stuff heavy enough to require a lift bag), and basically just how to use their skills in ways they haven't done before. It's a good way to help newer divers expand their skill sets.

Cleanups also need on-shore people to check divers in and out of the water, to help clean up the shoreline above the surface, someone to take pictures (you almost always want to document the work for public relations purposes ... particularly if you're working with a municipal P&R department), and arrangements to haul whatever you take out of the water off to the local landfill or transfer station.

To get the best answer to your question, check with your local dive clubs, or if you have a nearby aquarium stop by and ask them (they're almost always looking for volunteers), or inquire at your town hall ... they almost always have some department that cares for public beaches ... usually Parks & Recreation or some similar name.

It's a great way to have fun, learn some new skills, and do something nice for your community all at the same time ... if this stuff interests you and you plan to do more of it in the future, I'd also recommend taking your Rescue class as soon as it's practical, and possibly a specialty class in S & R ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe they've got something you can do - although at least here in the U.S. they typically want more than OWD to protect you, the animals and all that expensive acrylic....

Fakieh Aquarium

SUDS would be an awesome opportunity for you. SCUBA training for wounded warriors facilitates the rehabilitation process, promotes mobility, and is a rewarding opportunity for both the service member and volunteer.

SUDS Diving | Soldiers Undertaking Disabled Scuba | SUDS Diving
Soldiers Undertaking Disabled SCUBA (SUDS)

Many people from my dive shop participate in this activity - and have enjoyed it thoroughly. A professional certification (instructor or divemaster) and specialized training for SUDS would be ideal training - however, there may be roles for you as a support diver.

I'd encourage you to continue your training with Adv. Open Water, and Rescue - and do lots of diving. When you've polished your skills and training such that diving is something you do naturally without much effort - then you can focus on mission (service) related diving of the sort you are interested in.

You may also consider public safety training. However, for insurance and evidentiary purposes - many public safety diving operations require an association with a Fire Department or Law Enforcement agency. This can also be very challenging diving (black water, contaminated, etc.) requiring specialized equipment.

Other local opportunities may exist as well.

Good luck with your search!

Our local aquarium requires at least Rescue Diver certification to qualify as a volunteer diver. These volunteers take one 4-hour shift per week, cleaning the tanks and feeding the animals.

Participating in events like trash clean-ups and such usually don't require more than OWD, but it depends on the location. Catalina Island's annual harbor cleanup is open to any certified diver.

Best thing you can do is find events you're interested in volunteering for and see what they want for a cert level.

My dive buddy today was a fairly new diver ... just a few dives post OW. She did fine ... and we hauled out over 500 lbs of trash as a group. Even had a chance to show her how to use a lift bag ...

... Bob ( Grateful Diver )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom