How do I keep spring straps attached?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have and love my spring straps. But, I worry about losing the strap when the dive is done. The reason is that after I pull them off my feet to get on the boat, the strap comes loose from the fin. Acutally, it is usually just one attachment point that comes loose, but later the other one will often come loose too. But I worry that at some point I fear I will lose my straps.

My fins are Aeris Velocity Duo and they have the post style rather than pin style attachment.

Is there anything I can do to keep the spring straps on the fins? Something with a tie-wrap :)?

can you post a pic? there must be something funny going on, because mine wouldn't come off in a nuclear blast.

That does not sound right.

I am familiar with two methods of securing the straps. One calls for you to cut off the fin knob on both sides and uses screws to attach them.

The other is just to slip them over the knob like the ones that came with it. But there is a point where it kind of "snaps" on over the knob. Maybe you are not putting it on the knob completely.

Zip ties will take care of it.
I Can't describe it, but experiment and wyou will see you can put the zip ties on in such a way that it keeps the attachnebt from moving off the post.

I'm assuming you have the Manta type spring straps
that have a metal plate with 2 overlapping openings.
The knob is pushed through the larger hole and then
the plate is pulled to allow the smaller opening to "snap" onto
the trunk of the knob.

Those type of straps can come loose and detatch when not under the
tension of being on your fee especially in rough
situations like using fin holders in heavy surf.

You can solve the problem permanently by switching out the
plate with a stainless shackle and bolt. The only problem with that
is that the shackle is shorter than the original plate and the
springs will get tighter on your feet.

You could replace the stainless plate with your original
plastic fin strap clip. All you have to do is drill out or the
round post in your finclip strap (some will snap out),
unscrew your steel post in your stainless plate and use this
post in the plastic clip in place of the plastic one you drilled out.
When you re install the screws in the post you will need
to use some sort of lock-tite to ensure they don't come loose.
The plastic base will not come off because when the clip
is inserted, it keeps the base from sliding forward which
keeps the knob from being able to pull through the larger hole.
The only problem with this is you are changing out the metal
for plastic. Some folks don't want to have any plastic.

The other method is actually shown on the Manta web site
and involves adding a safety loop to hold them on.
They use an Oring for this but you could probably use somthing
else like a stainless wire or a ziptie.

Here is the a link to their picture:

Manta Safety Oring

Using a small skinny zip tie looks like the easiest way to go.

--- bill

vondo:
I have and love my spring straps. But, I worry about losing the strap when the dive is done. The reason is that after I pull them off my feet to get on the boat, the strap comes loose from the fin. Acutally, it is usually just one attachment point that comes loose, but later the other one will often come loose too. But I worry that at some point I fear I will lose my straps.

My fins are Aeris Velocity Duo and they have the post style rather than pin style attachment.

Is there anything I can do to keep the spring straps on the fins? Something with a tie-wrap :)?

this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=155030 might be helpful for you as well.....same issue and a solution offered

Tamas:
this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=155030 might be helpful for you as well.....same issue and a solution offered

Thanks Tamas,

You and Bill have understood the problem perfectly I think. The two openings are just as in the picture from Bill, and they do snap into place, but it comes undone. Over time I think this will happen more easily.

In your solution, do I understand that the washer goes under (or over) the stainless plate and just keeps things more snug?

From Bill's solution (and picture) there is yet another step to loop the O-ring over the post, right?

I'll try both of these. Thanks,

Eric

Tamas:

Thanks Tamas,

You and Bill have understood the problem perfectly I think. The two openings are just as in the picture from Bill, and they do snap into place, but it comes undone. Over time I think this will happen more easily.

In your solution, do I understand that the washer goes under (or over) the stainless plate and just keeps things more snug?

From Bill's solution (and picture) there is yet another step to loop the O-ring over the post, right?

I'll try both of these. Thanks,

Eric

vondo:
Thanks Tamas,

In your solution, do I understand that the washer goes under (or over) the stainless plate and just keeps things more snug?....

I have had mine like that for a year, field tested with perfect results.

Back
Top Bottom