how do i get work in underwater research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thallasamania pretty much hit it right on the head. Many research universities in Socal (UCSD, UCSB) and others offer the research diver certification course (the so-called 100 hours course). Sometimes these are offered as part of the scheduled courses, sometimes they are not. Other volunteer organizations offer it as well (Catalina Conservancy Divers once did, I don't know if they do anymore.) The hundred hours course is the admission ticket for research diving, but it is only the beginning. You are certified to dive to certain depth and certification is progressive. Also, with many undergrads vying to build hours, volunteering to dive is usually the norm until you are a proven commodity, then you might get paid. The key is what skills to do you offer the research team. As the diving officer at UCSB used to say "it is easier to take a biologist and turn them into a diver than it is to take a diver and turn them into a biologist.

But, universities are not the only vehicle. Many non-profit ocean programs use volunteers, such as Aquarium of the Pacific. Also, if you are trained, government agencies, such as Channel Islands National Park use volunteers for everything from monitoring shipwreck sites to doing the twice a week underwater video program from the Landing Cove at Anacapa Island.

And yes, these volunteer positions do lead to paid positions. I was hired by the National Park Service to do shipwreck research as a result of my volunteer diving. I have also worked on Kelp Forest Monitoring and other projects, although I am no longer a research diver in my current position. This month's Scuba Diving issue on wrecks features an interview with the project manager for the USS Arizona effort by NPS, Matt Russell. Matt was a dive buddy of mine, we both went through the 100 hours class at UCSB, and we both volunteered as shipwreck researchers for the Park.

I won't go on, but if you would like to continue this conversation, please contact me by PM

The biggest thing to remember is that for just about every hour in the water you will do 10-20 hours in the lab or writing papers. You will start as a student (AKA Research Slave) and have to work up. What do you want to research - animals, archaeology, geophysics? There is a lot going on with remote sensing - ROV's, AOV's, etc. All have different starting points for an undergrad, but all will be heavy science and report writing so hit the Math, Computer Science, English Writing, you should have a foreign language (Russian, French, German, and Chinese - with the way things are going globally I would think real hard about the Chinese).

Also, ditch the email slang and use proper English (capital letters for one) for any writing where you want to come across as someone that a researcher would want to work with, and use spell check always. If needed, write posts like you made up top in Word or as an email that can be spell checked, then cut and paste it. You only get one time to make an impression, and if all I am looking at is your spelling errors and bad writing, guess what I'm thinking about.

The above will be required for just about any program that has been mentioned.

Another school you may want to consider, especially if you're interested in tropical marine science, is University of Miami. Their undergraduate program gives a broad overview of the many areas one can focus on as part of marine research, plus the option to follow the 100 hours training Thalassamania and the others have mentioned. Their graduate programs (through the Rosenstiel School) are more specialized by field (geology, biology, policy, etc). An added plus is that NOAA is right across the street from the graduate campus, and they often send out emails looking for research-certified divers to volunteer with their projects.

And yes, I'm taking notes on this as well...

Don't know if my two cents will help or not, but....

Enroll in a college that encompasses all of the areas of study that you wish to cover. If need be, start your schooling at one school and transfer to another in order to get the education and experience YOU want to have. Study hard, get good grades. Dabble in every area you possibly can. Ask ALL of your instructors along the way if they have projects that you can lend a hand in to get more experience. Even if they don't have something extra for you, they may have an associate in another field that may want some volunteers/interns. Fields you don't necessarily think about when you think about marine biology are really important to the industry, and they all hold hands.

Case in point, my BIO 101 instructor was a Geologist for his day job, offered me a great opportunity to spend time with him and other researchers aboard a boat for 2 weeks. Geology is not something that I think about when I think about marine biology, however the lessons learned were invaluable & highly applicable, much to my surprise. When that project was over & I had proven that I was willing to "get my hands dirty" so to speak, he referred me to some of his associates that has led me to a long-term research internship with local marine researchers.

I guess the real lesson I've learned is to network, network, network. Make phone calls to the local gov't agencies like DHEC, DNR, Forestry Commission, Parks Services, etc. All of these agencies encompass marine biology in some form or fashion, and they almost always offer researching opportunities. Volunteer for EVERYTHING you can while in school. Your name will get passed around and marvelous opportunities will present themselves. Once your schooling is completed, you will have a fabulous resume' and you would be surprised at the job offers that come pouring your way.

Dedication, persistance & passion lead the way to the job of your dreams!

My advice is to volunteer. As an undergrad in geology, I had a biology prof. that voluteered my services (as an open water scuba diver with lots of interests) to his diving colleagues (via the coral list). I took every opportunity to voluteer to help with underwater science- no matter where, when, or how much debt I would gain. It gave me 2 years in a variety of different fields and allowed me to know what my interests were (and were not) for when I started my MSc/PhD.

Fat:
im looking at doing research so i can dive all the time but i dont know what class i need for that or even how to get work any tips plz let me know
Here is my two cents worth: go into research only if you enjoy research, not because you hope do alot of diving.

Being obsessed with the ocean I also wanted a job where I could combine diving, boating and the ocean. So I went and got a degree in Ocean Engineering, got my captains license, etc. After graduating college I worked in oceanography for a few years. Eventually I realized that for me there was a big difference in working around the ocean and enjoying the ocean recreationally. For me the thrill is to enjoy it recreationally and oceanography did not provide this for me. Additionally, I could not afford to do the things that I wanted to do and take the diving related trips that I wanted to on a research salary.

I have alot of respect for the people who do this research and I have alot of friends that work in the ocean sciences. Oceanographic research can be very competitive. In some disciplines there are more people with PhD’s than there are positions available and this drives the salaries down. If you want to be successful in oceanographic research you really have to love the science to make this dedication and be successful. In oceanography most lead researchers have a masters or PhD degree and do not make a whole lot of money.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you... just providing you with my first hand experience. I started out just like you looking for a way to combine my ocean related activities with a career and eventually realized that having a higher paying career was a better ticket for me to enjoy the ocean recreationally.

alot of great info here. depending on alot of things, ur situation etc. you could join an expedition and volunteer to do things like reef analysis, topography readings, research etc.

check out these sites. if had friends who have done this type of stuff all over the world and have made countless friends and learned alot. plus had the times of their life. the business you want to get involved in its mainly all about who u know. really like almost anything these days. and maybe volunteering for places like this might make you some important friends so you can be accepted at certain places. or beef up a resume, or a college letter or something. check em out.

http://www.reefcheck.org/involved/Volunteer.php
http://www.blueplanetdivers.org/archives/2006/03/reef_check_aust.php
http://www.coralreefalliance.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=99
http://www.reefrelief.org/OnlineGiftShop/items/i0000147.html
http://www.coralcay.org/
http://www.worldwildlife.org/coral/index.cfm?sc=AWY0707WCG00searchen&google
http://www.globalcoral.org/

taking a year or two off to do some of this stuff could prob make a huge difference in a career. but its hard to say because i dont know your situation and dont know if you could do any of this. some people cant just pack up and leave. just remember there are alot of people out there that would like to dive on reefs all day and do cool research on ocean stuff and make a difference. the people that get the good jobs are the ones that can distinguish themselves from the rest of the crowd. be multi-dimensional and best of luck to your career!!!

Yep, in a few years once I complete school, I'll try and do research underwater. Why did I became a diver?

Bait is not an option.

There are a lot of ways to get into diving for more than just pleasure. Funny, I've seen some GREAT schools mentioned here, but so far, no mention of SUNY Stony Brook. It's no where near as big a name as say... WHOI, but they've got things, like multibeam sonar, that WHOI actually does not even have. How do I know, well, I went there for undergrad and grad. Do I love the school, am I promoting is shamelessly? Eh, I can't say I LOVE it, but I will always acknowledge how good a program it is.

Peter Brink is a professor there... that's a name many of you interested in physiology should know.

Just my 2 cents....

Wow, some great information here. Thanks to everyone for contributing!

The Coral Reef Alliance seems the most interesting to me, given that I'm in the Bay Area. Just sent in my volunteer application. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom