How do I get rid of Algae in my mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dug037

Reaction score
Does anyone have a tip for getting rid of algae growing around the lens on the inside of masks? It seems to be really far into the seal around the lens. I've tried soft scrub and even letting it soak in a mild water-clorox bleach combo. I still can't seem to get rid of it. The mask is about two years old and is otherwise in great shape.

HELP!!!

Thanks,
Doug

The bleach should kill it.

Are you sure it's algae rather than mold / mildew? I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but my understanding from being an avid sailor is that the humidity, warm temperatures, and a bit of water will cause mold rather quickly in your part of the world. If it turns out to be mold rather than algae, I would suggest insuring all of your gear dries thoroughly after rinsing to prevent the mold from taking hold.

After you clean it with bleach, is the mask clean for a period of time? Is the amount of algae reduced by the bleach, or is the amount of algae unchanged after cleaning with bleach?

The simple solution would be to get a new mask, but it doesn't prevent it from happening again.

Not sure if the above helps or not.

~ Jason

Take the mask completely apart and wash each piece of it. The frame, lenses, skirt. It'll look like new except if there's yellowing on the silicon.

try peroxide
and a tooth brush
i find many masks that have been lost on the bottom
and i clean them all with a mixture of dish soap and peroxide
hope this helps

The bleach should work if you let it soak long enough. Keep in mind that algae can grow into the strangest places and it might take some time for the bleach to get to all of it. If you can take it apart it will probably help speed the process.

Although I must admit...I have never heard of this problem before.

Tooth brush and soap and peroxide
hope this helps

dug037:
It seems to be really far into the seal around the lens. I've tried soft scrub and even letting it soak in a mild water-clorox bleach combo.
If it's that far in, then it won't be coming back out while you're diving -- so it shouldn't cause any problem. The simplest thing is to just ignore it, which is what I do about the tiny bits of sand and gunk driven far, far into my mask.

Take it apart if possible. It's pretty hard to get stuff out of there but if you take it apart it should be pretty easy to scrub out.

Even a heavy clorox solution shouldn't be a problem. The company I got my mask from (Snorkel Bob's) told me to soak it in a 50% bleach solution for 2-3 hours to get rid of the cloudiness in the silicone, which is how they treat all their rental masks to keep them new looking... Should take care of any algae too...

Aloha, Tim

Bleach, CLR (that calcium lime rust stuff), Tarn-X, Honey...

That should all kill it if soaked long enough...

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom