How do I get prescriptive lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I just started wearing glasses and MAN, I had no idea what I was missing... I feel like I have bionic eyes now. My vision started to get worse the last couple years, things that are far away tend to get blurry... My glasses are pretty low prescription, I can see OK without them, i.e. pass an driver's eye exam, etc. so I haven't had a need to get a mask with prescriptive lenses... but I'm shopping for a new mask now, so I thought I might as well get some prescriptive lenses to enhance my underwater view.

I have no idea how it works... I buy a mask that is prescription compatible and then I have an optometrist place put in the lenses? Or do I specify my prescription when I order? On another note, how do I note what my prescription is? I mean, is there like a number or something? Is it something you go an ask your eye doctor for? I'd also like to get my prescription info so I can buy glasses at other shops when I need to in the future. I'm a first time eye-glass wearer so I'm in the dark with all these things.

water magnifies so if you are safe to drive you probably don't need perscription lenses in you mask.

If you feel the need your LDS should be able to help. I've go mine in a Tusa Liberator+ mask and I got them no problem - each lens was about the same price as the mask so I take good care of it :)

Most dive shops have a source for having the lenses added to a mask you already own. If you can't find somethng there PM me and I'll get you a US address to which you can mail your mask.

Despite the magnification of the water I still need and want my perscription mask, different in each eye and each bifocal is also different. I love being able to see (again) and consider the maks my most important piece of diving gear.

Seavision will put prescription lenses in a mask, even bifocals:

http://www.seavisionusa.com/

BTW, please note that good u/w lenses are modified from your original above-water prescription to take into account the fact that optics are different u/w.

~SubMariner~

is another source. They sell Rx lenses for a number of masks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom