How do alerts work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCNaiad

Dive babble all day long
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there. While I know that not every alert will appear under notifications (hence the "There may be more posts after this" tag), I wondered how it worked exactly.

For example: Is there an algorithm that only shows an alert for updates to the same post every X update or X hour?

I tried searching for this info, but was unsuccessful. (Maybe I'm the only tech geek who cares..?)

Appreciate any feedback you could provide, but obviously no rush.

Thanks!

You can configure your alerts under account settings.

I appreciate your response, but the info I am trying to obtain is not how to configure them. They are already configured to show me all alerts:

What I am trying to understand how they work. As noted above...For example: Is there an algorithm that only shows an alert for updates to the same post every X update or X hour?

Thanks though for trying to help.

I think a new alert is triggered for any followed thread that has changed since you last logged in but I'm not positive.

@NYCNaiad Here's what I added to the tutorial:

More about alerts...

There are several kinds of alerts and you can get. You can set them up here: https://www.scubaboard.com/community/account/alert-preferences.

Here's a few of the more common alerts and when you will get them if you selected to be alerted:
  • New post in a thread you are following...
    • Only one until you visit the thread again
  • Someone Quoted you...
    • Comes up with each and every quote
  • Someone Mentioned you...
    • Comes up each and every time someone use the @ with your username such as @The Chairman.
  • Someone Liked your post...
    • Comes up each and every time someone liked your post
  • New Thread in a Sub Forum you're following...
    • Get one alert for every new thread in any forum you're following.

:eyebrow:I think we have a Russian hacker in our midst? Lol

Thanks so much, @The Chairman. This was bugging me to no end! I swear I looked in the tutorial, but I guess I missed this.

Appreciate the quick response!
You inspired me to include it, so thank yourself!!! :D Ithought it was a fair question, and I thought it deserved a fair answer. So, you're welcome.

You inspired me to include it, so thank yourself!!! :D Ithought it was a fair question, and I thought it deserved a fair answer. So, you're welcome.

Ah. Ok. Thank you, NYCNaiad. And thank you, Chairman. :wink:

Appreciate you including it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom