How did J and K valves get their name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read, on the board I believe, that the names came from their identifying letters in the Sears/Roebuck catalog. Does anyone know if there is merit to this? If there is does anyone have a catalog with the valves in them? I would like a copy (photocopy is fine) to put into my OW lectures.
Thanks!
Ber :lilbunny:

I heard it was from a catalog but I don't know if it was a sears catalog. I can't help you with the copy though cuz the only copy of the sears catalog we have is out back in the outhouse.

MikeFerrara:
I can't help you with the copy though cuz the only copy of the sears catalog we have is out back in the outhouse.
Hey Mike, if that catalog's been in the outhouse that long please tell me it wasn't put there to satisfy sanitary purposes :klo: :shocked:

Ber Rabbit:
Hey Mike, if that catalog's been in the outhouse that long please tell me it wasn't put there to satisfy sanitary purposes :klo: :shocked:

That catalog has been "Red Flagged" and cannot be distributed!!!!

Oh dear... Wasn't it a particular US Divers catalog?

I was told once that the J valve was becuase on the old equipment of the wire than ran down the BC (with the loop on the end ) looked like a "J".

And the newer K valves had a "K" look to them.

Of course this could have been some ego driven dive shop owner
who just enjoyed hearing himself talk and make his students think that.

A google search found a posting on another board that suggested
it was a ScubaPro catalog code designation for J valve and the next
valve was K because it was next in alaphbet. Don't know how a "H" valve
fits into this order though :)

It was the 1953 Aqualung catalog. I don't have that, but I do have a copy of the 1955 catalog. I'll drop a photo copy in the mail on Monday. Look on page 7. The k valve is $7.95, the J is $30.00.

mike s:
I was told once that the J valve was becuase on the old equipment of the wire than ran down the BC (with the loop on the end ) looked like a "J".

There were no BCs then.

Walter:
There were no BCs then.

The old AT Packs or water gills harness had a horseshoe bladder around it
that I would consider a BC.... they connected to the harness with
steel rings around the tanks (steel 72's) and had the J valve with
the long wire to switch to reserve at around 500psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom