How deep is the silt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Searching around and reading about the Florida caves, getting more and more excited about my trip down there, I ran across this picture.

http://www.slps.net/slps/html/gallery/florida_caves/0041.html

Which got me thinking, how deep is that silt!?! Looks like the cave could be perfectly round, but half filled with silt? If it's really that deep, does anyone ever try to dig down and see what might be buried in there (bones and whatever)? Though I imagine that would cause a mother of a silt out!

Thanks!
Jason

I think (I hope) you are just wondering and not actually wanting to do this.
You'll learn cave conservation in class and hopefully cure the need to dig. :wink:

To blow off cave conservation is a felony in Florida.

Enjoy your trip. It's beautiful down there!

No, just curiosity. Don't worry, I have no plans to dig or deface anything. Far from it. But even within conservation of the caves, I'd imagine there has to have been some study of the silt, how deep it is, how old, etc.

I guess I'm just wondering if it builds up to several feet deep, or do the systems do a good job of flushing out all but a thin layer of it? Like you said, I'm sure we'll go over all this during class. :)

I can speak for a couple systems that receive flooding when the rivers reach flood stage,the rapid water movement will move silt around. I have seen areas that were high piles of silt have bare limestone after flooding,and visa versa. I think the answer to your question is based on factors like is the system very high flow and doesn't get detritus intrusion,or is it low flow and receives a lot of organic material when flooding occurs. Silt comes in many varities in texture and whether it compacts easily or is loose.

I recently dove with a local long time cave diver in Madison Blue. We went through Potters Delight and Rocky Horror and on back a ways. It was my first time in the system and he filled me in before and after the dive on the history of the system and how it has changed over time...I remember particularly his comments on the Potters Delight portion. The technique he explained was to use no leg or fin - just pull and glide off the side walls as this is fairly restrictive and there is beautiful clay on the bottom and we want to leave it there. On passing through I could see how over the years, divers passing through had scrapped, rammed, dug, or brushed against the bottom and "liberated" the clay into the flowing water, soon to become part of the "downstream"...it is hard not to. It took millions of years for those clay beds to form - and just a few to wear them away. With just a careless flip of your fin - drag of a reel - and a host of other small attacks on the cave - we wipe away history. WE are the enemy of the cave...WE have the biggest impact on the cave...and that is one reason we should all spend most of our time in the cave thinking about how not to damage it...aside from reducing visibility to where it might harm yourself or others...particulate in the water, reduced vis and worst case, siltouts...generally mean - you just harmed the cave...

Try looking between your legs and see what you are doing to the cave on your next dive - for most of us, it usually is a real learning experience.

To answer the question and not hijack too much...I was in Peacock and screwed up and lost bouyancy control doing a tieoff for a jump - finger poked quite gently to above my wrist into the silt - soft stuff, and I certainly did not feel a hard bottom under my fingertip - gently inflate and extract ones deflated ego from the cave floor and move on...happens - and part of the cave paid the price. There are many places I have seen silt dunes that were obviously many many feet deep.

Thanks for the answers guys I have always been curious about that as well, especially for a non cave diver.

addexdiver:
To answer the question and not hijack too much...I was in Peacock and screwed up and lost bouyancy control doing a tieoff for a jump - finger poked quite gently to above my wrist into the silt - soft stuff, and I certainly did not feel a hard bottom under my fingertip - gently inflate and extract ones deflated ego from the cave floor and move on...happens - and part of the cave paid the price. There are many places I have seen silt dunes that were obviously many many feet deep.

You might be surprised how deep the silt is in Peacock in the areas that are nice and flat that don't have dunes. Peacock has been subjected to years of flooding cycles due to the low flow and gets a lot of detritus in there. Madison that you mentioned,even though it is a high flow place,it has always been very susceptible to flooding. Even though you'd think that the Courtyard is quite a distance away and not subject to flooding,but with a recent dye trace it was found that in reality the hydrological connect of the Courtyard to Pot springs in the Witlalacoochee is a very quick one. The places that impress me is silt in the back of Devil's system. It had to be one heck of a flood for that much organic material to get bakc there,kind like the flood of 1998.

This may be a stupid question, but is the silt all organic debris? In the photographs, it looks white, and I always thought it was made up of the limestone of the caves eroding over time.

TSandM:
This may be a stupid question, but is the silt all organic debris? In the photographs, it looks white, and I always thought it was made up of the limestone of the caves eroding over time.
Looking through my manual from class I found this:
Visibility
Sediments; classified by particle size and composition:
1. Sand
2. Silts:
a)mud silt
b)clay silt (smallest particles)
3. Decomposing organic materials; leaves, peat, etc.
4. Bacterial growth and residue

From that, it seems that silt is actually mud or clay but I think that in general, cave divers refer to anything that can become suspended in the water column as silt (a combination of all the above).

Most silt I've seen is usually brown, red or gray in color.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom