how deep before you feel need to equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mu guess is that everyone's ears need equalizing every meter--ear drums are just not as strong as the pressure that water can exert. But some people have eustachian tubes that open really easily, and they have had practice swimming underwater, so they are not conscious of equalizing.

When I am scuba diving, I don't have to consciously equalize, unless I have had some recent congestion.

When freediving, there is less air to equalize with, so I have to start intentionally equalizing at about 4 m, and then get more methodical at about 10 meters.

Mu guess is that everyone's ears need equalizing every meter--ear drums are just not as strong as the pressure that water can exert. But some people have eustachian tubes that open really easily, and they have had practice swimming underwater, so they are not conscious of equalizing.

Most people, especially beginners or those who don't do it as unconsciously and automatically equalize, could probably benefit a bit from doing so even more often than every meter.

Consider a fast elevator ride in a 50 story building. Most people probably equalize at least once or twice. Well, 500' in air is equivalent to something around 0.6 fsw/0.18 msw, a lot less than one meter.

Here are a few pointers to keep in mind when equalizing during Scuba/Freediving/snorkeling:

1. Equalize before you experience discomfort

2. With your mouth closed pinch your nose

3. Gently blow out air through the blocked nose

4. If need by wiggle your jaw from side to side.

Also keep in mind the following safety practices during your attempt to equalize:

•Avoid continuing to dive deeper with an unclear ear, as this may lead to injuries

•if you experience discomfort in your ear, ascend to the surface and equalize again

•Should you find it impossible to equalize then stop attempting to dive deeper

•Do not wear tight wetsuit hoods as this may effect the equalization process

•Do not wear any ear plugs as this will make it impossible for your to equalize.

I start at the surface, constantly equalize as I go down and as I ascend. I wear a freedive wetsuit with integrated hood. Check out DeeperBlue.com and Ask Performance Freedivers on how to properly equalze without pinching nose or blowing air. Ear plugs are available for freedivers.

When I up-end on the surface, I start equalizing. I am neutrally buoyant at about 30', so by just inverting I am quickly past 20 '.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom