How dark is a night dive? Watch these videos!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
A lot of people ask me about night dives. I love diving at night, it's a true 'out of this world' experience for me. Many of the divers I meet are simply too scared to even think about making a night dive. They often ask, "Just how dark is it?" Well, this last weekend it was really dark! Want to see?

I was fortunate to have made two night dives during the 4th of July holiday weekend. One on the 3rd and the second on the 5th. It was exceptionally dark with just a sliver of a moon showing. I was able to spend over two hours underwater and saw some cool creatures.

Here are three of my favorite clips from those dives. Among other things, we saw a few jellyfish, lobsters, eels, a bunch of sea turtles, squid, spanish dancers, and a couple of octopus. These shots are of the Box Jelly, a Green Sea Turtle and a Night Octopus. I hope you enjoy them!

The Box Jelly pulsates around in the abyss.

The Sea Turtle swims in complete darkness.

An elusive Night Octopus explores it's world.

I sure miss Maui.

VERY COOL videos !!

Our first intro dive was in Maui, and then after we got absolutely hooked and got certified, then our first ever night dive was back in Maui also. Very fond memories, though we didn't get to see an octopus for that long.

Mahalo for sharing !!

Always enjoy hearing about and SEEING your great dive adventures Doug. It never ceases to amaze me how unobtrusive your camera is while we are diving and then you STILL come up with such awesome video and pictures!

Thanks,
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom