How comfortable are spring straps on jet-fins, please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to get a pair of spring straps for my jet fins, with two simple objectives in mind: added security and ease of donning/ removing.

I’ve never used spring straps before, though, and would like to know whether people find them as comfortable as the rubber standard-issue straps?

My concern is that they may dig into the heel/ achilles tendon a little, given that the force of holding the foot in the fin is concentrated over a very small area at the back of the heel, rather than with the wider rubber strap? I would be wearing them predominantly with thin, but hard-soled, wet suit boots.

Clumsy explanation, but I guess you’re able to get my drift?

Would appreciate any direct comparisons you may have here!

I feel no difference between spring straps and factory supplied.
I suppose that if one had an extraordinarily long, thin foot they could generate a bit more pressure, but that can be solved easily by attaching pads.

the K

the spring straps are the best thing to fins:) they are a no brainer and are very comfortable. if you have problems with it pressing on your achilles tendon then i think you got a size too small. they should be snug but not uncomfortable.

Spring straps are one the best investments I ever made. Just as comfy as regular straps but so much more convenient.

I think the spring straps are actually more comfy than the rubber straps. I have no pressure on the heel and they are the best for donning and removing. I won't go back to rubber. Definitely get the springs.

Melissa

You should pay some attention to the length of the springstrap. I have rather big feet (size 12) and the Halcyon springstraps are a little shorter, so the fin with springstrap is too tight (which hurts my Achilles). However I'm very satisfied with my Dirzone springstraps.

D.

On my drysuit I wear rock boots - don't even notice them. When diving wet (in tropical) with 5mm booties, I get a rub. After a week, I got used to it and it was no biggie.

Love 'em.

---
Ken

Get 'em.

The only thing you might not like about the spring straps is waiting for the divers who don't have them to get their fins on and off.

I've never heard of anyone who had springs going back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom