How close was she?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amadeus00

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On our last dive trip to Bali, my wife shot to the surface from 65'. We were about 20 min into our last dive for the entire trip and she had some ear problems. She signaled to me that here ear was "not ok" and she was going to "go up" a few feet. I gave the "OK" sign and watched her go up about 5', then 10' and then I saw here continue to rise. I immediately tried to swim up to grab her fins but only to fall short a couple of inches. I knew I had to let her go because it was an uncontrolled ascent. I really struggled in my decision to not pursue her rapid ascent and stayed down. The DM saw what was happening and motion to me to stay put while he went after her. He did his emergency ascent.

Another group of divers (3 including their DM) were in the near vicinity. The DMs were from the same shop and they had these rattlers they used to get your attention. They were communicating with these underwater. I could hear them rattling away in their own code. I had lost sight of my wife and my DM. I buddied up with the DM from the other group and stayed there with him. After a series of rattling, the DM pointed up to where my wife and DM was and signaled OK. After what seemed like an eternity, I saw my wife and DM coming back down.

We continued on with the dive for another 25 min and surfaced. I asked her what happened and she said it was a brain fart. She wanted to go up about 5-10' and was ready to let some air out but when she squeezed the release valve, her finger accidentally hit the inflator. She thought it was a BC malfunction and tried to pull the dump valve. The harder she tried to pull, the harder she squeezed, adding more air. I asked her to demonstrate her technique and sure enough her palm was on the inflator as she tugged away. She just didn't pull hard enough for the release. She said everything was in slow motion and it took forever to surface. She said she didn’t panic and was more pissed at herself for a stupid mistake like that. I told her the next time she finds herself heading in a direction she doesn’t want to be going, turn around and kick. She should have ducked her head down and kicked. That would have given me the couple of inched I needed to grab on to her.

The BC was a rental and she was not all that familiar with it. I bought her a Zena for our next trip, Cozumel. I'm thinking about making her wear her BC for an entire day to get her accustomed to it. You know, it's like making a football player carry around a football all day. She probably won't do it but I'm going to make sure I drill her on the new BC. Make sure she knows how to operate all the features.

cut the zip-tied trigger and spin it around so she doesnt palm it.
I did.

amadeus00:
On our last dive trip to Bali, my wife shot to the surface from 65'. We were about 20 min into our last dive for the entire trip and she had some ear problems. She signaled to me that here ear was "not ok" and she was going to "go up" a few feet. I gave the "OK" sign and watched her go up about 5', then 10' and then I saw here continue to rise. I immediately tried to swim up to grab her fins but only to fall short a couple of inches. I knew I had to let her go because it was an uncontrolled ascent. I really struggled in my decision to not pursue her rapid ascent and stayed down. The DM saw what was happening and motion to me to stay put while he went after her. He did his emergency ascent.

Another group of divers (3 including their DM) were in the near vicinity. The DMs were from the same shop and they had these rattlers they used to get your attention. They were communicating with these underwater. I could hear them rattling away in their own code. I had lost sight of my wife and my DM. I buddied up with the DM from the other group and stayed there with him. After a series of rattling, the DM pointed up to where my wife and DM was and signaled OK. After what seemed like an eternity, I saw my wife and DM coming back down.

We continued on with the dive for another 25 min and surfaced. I asked her what happened and she said it was a brain fart. She wanted to go up about 5-10' and was ready to let some air out but when she squeezed the release valve, her finger accidentally hit the inflator. She thought it was a BC malfunction and tried to pull the dump valve. The harder she tried to pull, the harder she squeezed, adding more air. I asked her to demonstrate her technique and sure enough her palm was on the inflator as she tugged away. She just didn't pull hard enough for the release. She said everything was in slow motion and it took forever to surface. She said she didn’t panic and was more pissed at herself for a stupid mistake like that. I told her the next time she finds herself heading in a direction she doesn’t want to be going, turn around and kick. She should have ducked her head down and kicked. That would have given me the couple of inched I needed to grab on to her.

The BC was a rental and she was not all that familiar with it. I bought her a Zena for our next trip, Cozumel. I'm thinking about making her wear her BC for an entire day to get her accustomed to it. You know, it's like making a football player carry around a football all day. She probably won't do it but I'm going to make sure I drill her on the new BC. Make sure she knows how to operate all the features.

So tell me,

You say "shot up", but did she just ascend really really fast, or did she leave the water when she hit the surface? Either way, it's always gonna be risky. By the sounds of things she's ok, but I'm amazed that she came back down to finish the dive, IMO she should have ended the dive there and then, and unlikely as it was, I'd have had her on 02 for a few mins, just to be safe. She was well withing table limits etc, but it's never a bad idea to play it safe, even if there's no signs of DCI.

Sf

amadeus00:
.... I'm thinking about making her wear her BC for an entire day to get her accustomed to it. You know, it's like making a football player carry around a football all day. She probably won't do it but I'm going to make sure I drill her on the new BC. Make sure she knows how to operate all the features.

If I'm not mistaken, the Zena inflator has a dump button at the end and a inflate button on the side. If she gets into the HABIT of raising the entire inflator hose above her head to dump air out, she might not make the mistake of pressing on the inflate button to deflate. Just a suggestion ...

Why did she continue the dive after a runaway ascent? I think I would have stayed on the surface and monitored for signs of problems. I would stay out of the water for at least 12 hours before making another dive.

Scott

It sounds like a pretty nerve wrecking experience...
I would have suggested that she passed on diving for rest of the day after that incident.

Also, consider doing some very shallow dives wtih your wive so that she could build up her skills and feel comfortable. A brain fart like hers could have been very bad.

When my girlfriend was learning to dive I used to add 2 lbs of wieght to my belt. to hlep keep her down when she got twitchy. After divinig with her a lot, she is now very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom