How Close are you to your buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still pretty new so I'm not okay wandering away from my buddy. I would say if vis is good I'd probably be about max 5 to 7 feet apart. When vis is bad I like to be even closer. And when it's pitch black I have been known to hold hands too, regardless of whether I'm diving with a girl or a guy.

I so appreciate all this feedback- you're all great for responding!

I'm still pretty new so I'm not okay wandering away from my buddy. I would say if vis is good I'd probably be about max 5 to 7 feet apart. When vis is bad I like to be even closer. And when it's pitch black I have been known to hold hands tool, regardless of whether I'm diving with a girl or a guy.

Yep that was my brother inlaw...held onto my wife and I like glue his first lake dive till he got used to it. :wink:

Yep that was my brother inlaw...held onto my wife and I like glue his first lake dive till he got used to it. :wink:

I'm good in the lake until you get to 40' and it's pitch black. :) Then it's time to get a little closer. LOL!

If I'm more than 60ft, 25 or 30 ft, but no less than the viz. (I usually avoid diving if viz is less than 40 ft) If my teen daughter is my Bud, she is on my elbo.:D

(edit. I will also dive with a pony as a buddy.)

So... Here is being honest... Depends on the Vis and the buddy! If its someone I dive with and know and the vis is good, > 50', I can be somewhere between 15-25' away but keeping tabs. That would be max... less than 50' would be no more than half the vis e.g. is vis is 30' then no more than 15' but once vis gets down to 10' or so... pretty damn close unless both have ponys but I only dive ponys when hunting meg teeth...

If its someone I don't know or know well then I would cut my distance in half...

That's just me... even underwater we all need some space...!

lee

PS and please don't be riding three foot above and three behind or our relationship will end soon... :) I dive for giggles and grins and not for worry or neck pain...!!! :wink:

Close enough to make meaningful and frequent eye contact if possible.

My buddy is my 13 year old daughter, so we usually hold hands (for my comfort, not hers)...I swear I hear her bubbles saying "dad, give me some space"...good thing she can't text underwater................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom