how can I remove stains from mask lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robcap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
howdy,
I dive with prescription lenses mask. As a consequence of lack of care and heavy usage they both have stains on the lenses. You know something like when you do not dry the crystal glasses after the dishwasher. It's not limestone, but possibly some kind of mineral salt deposit + they also look kind of oily (but they are not).
So, I tried soap. nothing. dishwasher soap. nothing. toothpaste. nothing. glass cleaning products. nothing.
Any hokus pokus recipe/method?

Could it be the glue between the lenses is discoloring, or glue residue is getting onto the outside surface from the glue out gassing/deteriorating ? if it is, I have no help other than contacting the maker and see what they say

stains/build up one the surface ? ... maybe a white vinegar/water solution to dissolve salt ? (might be bad on the glue?)

Sorry ... I guess I really dont have much of a clue, do I :wink:

I soak my mask, snorkel, knife, etc. in warm water after each use. Then a rinse of fresh water. This prevents any build-up of deposits. If the mineral deposits do not interfer when wet looking though it, then try soaking warm water after each use. Phosphoric acid and CLR removes deposits from glass, but I do not know if it would damage mask if applying with cotton swab on deposit.

Good Luck!

I have the same issue (except non-prescription lens). The stains are on the glass, not the skirt, and it's a well-seasoned mask. I've tried Sea Drops, Windex, and limescale remover (undiluted) with zero improvement. The mask is basically unusable as is so I'll try any suggestions, thanks.

Try running it through the dishwasher, don’t do the heated dry. If that doesn’t help and since you’ve tried almost all other fixes (an ammonia soak may help but be careful of it attacking some plastics) it maybe time to buy a new mask.

I've had very good luck on things with plastic lenses, plastic face shields, protective goggles, and the like by using auto wax on it, it works the same way it works on your cars finish, non abrasive, removes some stains and lessons scratches (specifically liquid Meguiar's Car Cleaner Wax, it's also great on your car :wink: )

Try running it through the dishwasher, don’t do the heated dry. If that doesn’t help and since you’ve tried almost all other fixes (an ammonia soak may help but be careful of it attacking some plastics) it maybe time to buy a new mask.
We don't have a dishwasher (they're uncommon in Singapore) but I'll look into ammonia, thanks.

I've had very good luck on things with plastic lenses, plastic face shields, protective goggles, and the like by using auto wax on it, it works the same way it works on your cars finish, non abrasive, removes some stains and lessons scratches (specifically liquid Meguiar's Car Cleaner Wax, it's also great on your car :wink: )
That's one I hadn't thought of! The mask lens is glass, not plastic, but worth a try. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom