How bright is an X wattage video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The question in the subject almost doesn't make sense although it would if there was a standardized way to describe brightness of video lights

I don't have any "feel" for how bright a certain wattage video light is. If someone could tell me that a certain wattage light with a given coverage width at a certain distance gives the same exposure as sunlight in shallow water I could work out most everything else.

With still photography the "Guide Number" says a lot about the strobe.

If you don't have numbers, how about subjective assessments, "100 wats of light, two feet away from the subject is as bright as daylight. I'm trying to comeup with some way to put video lights on some kind of standard scale.

You might guess that I'm shopping for video lights. I'll use them at night for subjects within about three feet of the camera. I'll use them in the day

ChrisA:
The question in the subject almost doesn't make sense although it would if there was a standardized way to describe brightness of video lights

I don't have any "feel" for how bright a certain wattage video light is. If someone could tell me that a certain wattage light with a given coverage width at a certain distance gives the same exposure as sunlight in shallow water I could work out most everything else.

With still photography the "Guide Number" says a lot about the strobe.

If you don't have numbers, how about subjective assessments, "100 wats of light, two feet away from the subject is as bright as daylight. I'm trying to comeup with some way to put video lights on some kind of standard scale.

You might guess that I'm shopping for video lights. I'll use them at night for subjects within about three feet of the camera. I'll use them in the day

I use a halogen light with a 100 degree reflector. For night dives, 50 watts is plenty for wide angle and therefore closeups and macro.

Daytime is trickier because the deeper you go, the more effective your light will become. I'll venture to say, lights for daytime are best used for closeup or macro work.

Back
Top Bottom