How big of a wing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How much "extra" capacity should I have in a wing?

I'm planning on sidemount double Sherwood HP120's (~15-16 lbs wet) + AL40 stage bottle (~ 4 lbs wet) + SS backplate (~ 6 lbs), plus 3 sets of primaries+secondaries (figure another 2-3 lbs each) which gives me a grand total of ~50-~55 lbs.

Do I really need to look at a 'monster' 60 lb wing?

Thanks!

Go to the manufacturer forum and go to DSS, Deep Sea Supply. Ask for Tobin. He is the end all for wing capacity questions, and he makes some pretty impressive gear.
Eric

Go to the manufacturer forum and go to DSS, Deep Sea Supply. Ask for Tobin. He is the end all for wing capacity questions, and he makes some pretty impressive gear.
Eric

Does he make small wings Too?

Off subject: Any good shore dives or dive sites reachable by kayak in your area?

I'm planning on sidemount double Sherwood HP120's (~15-16 lbs wet) + AL40 stage bottle (~ 4 lbs wet) + SS backplate (~ 6 lbs), plus 3 sets of primaries+secondaries (figure another 2-3 lbs each) which gives me a grand total of ~50-~55 lbs. Do I really need to look at a 'monster' 60 lb wing?
I wouldn't describe a 60 lb wing as a 'monster'. But, such a wing would not be unreasonable for double 120s and a stage 40. Seeing your location, I presume you are diving dry? I dive a 50 - 55 lbs wing in that SM configuration.
richkeller:
Does he make small wings, Too?
Yes.

Unless you really need the ~5 lbs for neutral buoyancy at your shallow stops, why not go to an AL plate? That should be sufficient to get you back in the comfort zone of a 50-55lb wing for surface flotation with a full rig.

IMHO, a wing needs to be large enough to accomplish two purposes.

First it should float your entire rig (with full tanks) at the surface with a bit to spare. It should float the rig both stand alone and with you in the gear

Second, it should (generally) allow you to maintain positive buoyancy in the worst set of circumstances you could reasonably face. Think a wetsuit compressed by depth and with your tanks essentially 100% full. In a drysuit, imagine the drysuit fails with full tanks.

Under the first rule, yep, you are probably around 60#.

Yes DSS makes wings for every occasion it seems. I feel a 60 pound wing is overkill, but that is just MHO. I dive dry, twin 100's, ss backplate and 2 al 40 stages with a 35 pound wing. I have never been happier. It fits the criteria mentioned above.

Wing size seems to be the most convoluted sizing aspect of diving. Seriosly call Tobin and by a DSS wing. You won't be disapointed with the free advice or the wing.
Eric

Last edited:
Depending on how you rig it, that 60 pound wing can become a hage taco underwater. I side mount with either 120s or 130s in a bathing suit or a shorty and dive a dual bladder 50 pound Hollis OMS100. I have more than enough lift, but the important thing is that it doesn't taco. The air cell has been designed to stay flat and close to my back. The taco effect complicates everything, including purging the air cell when you need to adjust your buoyancy. I've yet to see a backplate rig set up to do this effectively.

Depending on how you rig it, that 60 pound wing can become a hage taco underwater. I side mount with either 120s or 130s in a bathing suit or a shorty and dive a dual bladder 50 pound Hollis OMS100. I have more than enough lift, but the important thing is that it doesn't taco. The air cell has been designed to stay flat and close to my back. The taco effect complicates everything, including purging the air cell when you need to adjust your buoyancy. I've yet to see a backplate rig set up to do this effectively.

Agreed and a concern. My plan is to use an OMS SM Profile adapter (that is if they ever get them back into production).

Agreed and a concern. My plan is to use an OMS SM Profile adapter (that is if they ever get them back into production).

Why would buy a backmount wing contingent on using this 'not currently in production' adapter? There are several made for sidemount systems available which might work for you. The Hollis SMS100 and the Nomad are 2 actually made for SM for instance.

A slightly larger issue is being in OR, why do you want to sidemount at all? It can be a bit challenging to find places on a sidemount rig to put enough lead for colder PNW (dry) diving. And its not like there are any flooded caves or other overheads in OR either. You can make it work, but manifolded doubles are quite a bit more useful for boat diving and accessing shore dives with any kind of surf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom