How bad was this thing I did? (2nd dive ever)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This question relates to a few aspects of diving including, buddy consideration, diver and proficiency.

On my second dive after OW certification I took a camera with me. The site was the snorkel trail at Blue Heron Bridge. I've been told by my buddy that this was wrong, and I want to understand to what degree that's true. To help determine how bad that was, I've listed a few facts below to consider:

I'm 59 years old. I'm wiry and athletic, with better than average coordination. I have a history of reacting quickly and appropriately in stressful situations. I'm a chef by trade, and I'm used to heavy task loading which is part of those duties. I've shown very good situational awareness* in the past. My buddy agrees with all of these statements.

On the dive in question my buddy, who has been diving since the late 70's, complimented me on my buoyancy control, calmness, and general skill considering that I'm a novice.

I think the deepest part of this dive was 10 ft. It was a 45 minute dive during peak slack tide. Visibility was
typically good for BHB, I'll say 40-50 feet, although I'm not a good judge at this point.

The camera was a $75 GoPro knockoff that I got just to mess around with until I put more thought into UW photography. It was attached to my bcd using a retractor, so when not in use I could just let go of it. I shot video (no lights) by leaving it on the retractor line and holding it with one hand leaving the other hand free.

I shot a total of about 8 minutes of video. When we came to a new piece of structure I would get control of my buoyancy, extend the camera and turn it on, and then slowly circle the rocks.

I've read threads about new divers avoiding using cameras until they're more proficient divers, and I generally agree. I made the call to take the camera down based on the depth, conditions, and the fact that I'm not greatly attached to the camera. That was about 10 dives ago, and I've used it in a similar way twice, both times in FL springs.

I thought my buddy was over this, but it was mentioned again today, so I'm looking for objective feedback on the subject. It's actually turning into a lasting disagreement I'm afraid.

*I hope this part doesn't sound like bragging, but it might be helpful in establishing my frame of mind underwater, and in general. For my 5th dive, I was with the same buddy diving The City of Washington off Key Largo. This was my first boat dive, and first ocean dive. I was one of 5 divers on the boat, and all of them have a lot of experience. Capt. pointed us toward the wreck, and into the current which was pretty strong that day. I entered the water first and waited for the others. Once down, everyone started heading in the opposite direction, with the current. I refused to follow and my buddy signaled confusion. I took their slate, got my knife and sharpened the broken pencil, and drew an arrow labeled "current" and pointed in the appropriate direction. They recognized the issue and changed direction.

Last edited:
Well I guess we HAVE found the scuba police everyone talks about. If you are under control and not causing harm to yourself, the environment or you buddy, tell him to pound sand.

I'm no expert (20 dives, woot!) but I have carried a camera for every dive except my four instructional dives and my wife's four instructional dives. If someone has a problem with your skills or your behavior while using the camera address that. Just making it about a device seems like another "mask on the forehead" discussion, i.e. they don't think that they are supposed to like it so they are telling you they don't like it.

If they can't tell you the way that it is negatively affecting you or them, I'd have a hard time giving it credit. If they are pointing to a behavior that they have seen you poorly display, then we have something to talk about.

edit: Sorry. What Doby45 said. He beat me to the punch.

There is nothing wrong with using a camera on your second dive, as long as you are maintaining agreed upon communication with your buddy. If you agreed that as a new diver you would give him ok signs and SPG readings more often than usual, and you weren't doing it and he had to chase you to check your pressure, then it would be a different story.

I'm dying to know what "BHB" is? I doubt that you are referring to the British Horse-racing Board.

Blue Heron Bridge....

In my opinion, using a GoPro to shoot simple video the way you described isn't really much additional task loading. It's when you have a big (or small) underwater camera setup and you're focusing on settings, exposure, composition, strobe positioning, buoyancy, etc, that the task loading for a novice diver is probably too much.

You clearly understand the issue of new divers overloading themselves by taking cameras, and you're clearly making informed decisions based on how challenging the particular dive is. The issue with many if not most divers is that we are incapable of objectively judging our own ability to handle task loading. Cameras are so ubiquitous these days that a lot of people don't seem to see taking a GoPro as task loading. Even a simple GoPro does add a little task loading. I think you have this well in hand. BHB is practically snorkeling, since a diver can just pop his head up at any time if he gets into trouble.

Speaking more generally, I would advise that if one is planning a dive that is challenging in some new way--say, for example, deeper than you're accustomed to, or you have a new piece of gear, etc.--then leave the camera at home until you're certain you're comfortable with that dive. My general rule is to limit myself to changing one thing at a time.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. But on the side of caution, you probably did not spend your first week behind the wheel juggling hot coffee, a big Mac and a lit cigarette. :wink: Photography can be pretty immersive, and with every thing being new it can really take your attention away from where it needs to be. So just be a little cautious, make sure your checking gauges often enough.

It's advice, not law. What you did was not wrong, just generally not advised.

Depends on the diver for me, I have seen more advanced divers with no situational awareness, and newbies who are much better. If you're not a danger to yourself and your buddy, tell them to foxtrot oscar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom