How are diving booties made?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mysteriousmonkey29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello, I'm not sure if this is exactly the right forum, so please let me know if there is a more appropriate place to post this question.

I am trying to make modified diving booties (more puncture resistant than usual) as a project, and am trying to find information on how traditional neoprene type booties are made? I found a lot of websites talking about glues and stitches used for wetsuit construction, and also this how it's made video on wetsuits: but I'm having trouble finding stuff on booties in particular.

Anyone know where I could look?

Thanks!

Most dive gear manufacturers offer a heavy duty model, e.g. Scubapro's Heavy-Duty 6.5 Dive Boot, Seac ProHD and so on.
Those come with a thicker sole. Alternatively, one could use "rock boots" which are supposed to go with a dry-suit, but can be worn along with a wet-suit and neoprene socks. Suppliers for professional divers also offer safety shoes with steel caps and a really puncture resistant steel sole. Look at this.

Now I am curious: What is the reason for DIY?

Puncture resistant? No idea what you mean by this but in 32 years of diving and using commercially available dive booties, I have never hard a problem with some sort of puncture (33% of dives are shore dives). Most booties are more than suitable to stop things sticking in your foot.

Check fishing and kayak shops for booties with robust soles.

-Z

You can buy puncture resistant shoe inserts. Google can lead you to the vendors.

Thanks guys, I should clarify that the goal of the puncture resistance is to prevent being stung by stingrays. Most of the stuff you guys linked would prevent stingray puncture (or at least on the hard vulcanized rubber parts), but I am also looking for something that is a little more lightweight/drags less in the water. Plus, I like making things (I'm an engineer).

Any info on how these kinds of booties are generally made?

Thanks!

Larger rays can hit you in the calf above the top of traditional sized dive booties. Your best option would be something that comes up to near the knee, similar to snake gaitors. Alternatively, you can just shuffle your feet on the bottom. Rays will typically scoot out of your way.

Thanks guys, I should clarify that the goal of the puncture resistance is to prevent being stung by stingrays. Most of the stuff you guys linked would prevent stingray puncture (or at least on the hard vulcanized rubber parts), but I am also looking for something that is a little more lightweight/drags less in the water. Plus, I like making things (I'm an engineer).

Thanks!
Stung by stingrays? Is this similar to being sprayed by a skunk? But worse? Maybe you are worrying about the wrong thing?

As per that Australian guy the angry stingray will poke you in the chest. Booties do not matter much.

Stingrays are happy creatures, until you get stupid and annoy them. If you hover quietly they will be happy to feed (or sleep) in the sand below you. At night they cruise about feeding in the sand ignoring your camera lights and are happy to swim past right under you (between your legs if you have heavy fins).

I am also looking for something that is a little more lightweight/drags less in the water

Are you serious? You think that the boots we wear are filled with lead or what? I always look for the thickest soled boots since I dive from shore most of the time and I have to walk on all types of hard surfaces. I have NEVER complained of boots that were "heavy" or "draging" and I have never had boots filled with lead or any type of metal.

In a factory somewhere in Asia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom