How about some dam courtesy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my case, I tend to hang back on my own and focus on the things that I find. If a DM finds an interesting subject, I let the others have a go, and will stay back till everyone clears out before I go in to take a shot. Since I focus mainly on macro, this is not usually an issue. But there are times where photographers do get in each others' way and I guess a tap on the shoulder usually works to get someone to move out so that someone else can get a shot.

I find in groups/trips it's best, as Dr Bill and others noted, to pretty much stay in front or way in back. I've had a shooter, video, dive right into a WA shot I was taking a shot. Just zoomed in right up my back then blocking the pic... I hit him in the leg... DOH!!!.. just what are they thinking..

Another one, a diver thought it was kewl to swim underneath me, intentionally, with a great photo of bubbles as they past in front of the lens on my National Geographic Cover Photos (joking here, I wish??)

The point I'm trying to make is that you pretty much have to stay AWAY from the other divers, find your nitch and let them be. If you have a DM that found a seahorse or something, then you have to decide how important the shot is, and either get there first by following the DM - since they know all the hot spots - or doing something else until everyone has cleared the area... and typically the subject as fled in terror...

Most of the time I like getting diver shots of divers doing diver things.. so it's automatically AWAY from them. I typically dive as a 3rd in a buddy system. I'm there if they are having problems, but off on my own for the most part.

When diving locally, my dive buddy will follow me so as not to stir things up.. then proudly declare ALL the stuff I missed seeing... Octos, Orcas, Subs etc... heheh.. we're just two "Solo Divers" diving together... lotsa space...

Some people are just plan "Rude" and self absorbed, just like drivers on the freeways... just get outta their way and let them through... as maddening as that is...

Or you could just "Be at One... With the Backscatter/Silt" and learn to love it.. .heheh... in Dec, I've found, backscatter/silt looks like snow.. how kewl is that eh??

Hope that helps...???

I hear you all.

I don't think this guy did it intentionally. Like I said I really didn't get annoyed until I was flying home a few days later. I went with the flow while under. He knew I was there though. I was his buddy on the second dive.

He wasn't a photographer. He was a diver with a small camera rig. I think there is a difference in respect to real photogs.

I wasn't annoyed with how long it took him to get shots as much as him petting the shark while we tried to take our pictures after waiting. And I didn't like him getting 10 inches away from the ray I am waiting to see.

If one is going to take a long time getting shots, the LEAST one could do is not cause the animal to leave.

But you all give me food for thought and some insight to take on my next dives.

Inconsiderate people like the photographer you mention is why so many uw photographers prefer to dive independently (sounds better than solo!). My preference is to dive from the shore or only go on a liveaboard which is full of friends who are photographers and, therefore, will give each other a chance. Such an arrangement also means you can tell the dive guides how you want to dive rather than the other way round.

people like this are the reason i am by default a "solo shore diver"

that way there is not boat captain or DM telling me with whom I have to dive.

if I choose the get on a dive boat with 'strangers' then i just deal with people like this.

we're not alone in this sport and as long as agencies keep 'spitting out' newbies, we're gonna have to deal with these people.

i agree with one of the other posters that you ought to have realized earlier what he was doing and totally confronted him, nicely at first then once again if necessary with no mistaking your point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom