How about shore dives in front of the Smart Resort on Mabul

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bearteacher.tw

Contributor
Reaction score
We will try shore dives when we stay in the Smart Resort on Mabul.

How about dives there? What can we expect to see?

When is the best time (early morning or sunset)?

Should anything be mentioned?

Thanks!!

i just got back from Smart last night. Smart is located on the tip of Mabul and has beaches on two sides. The is a on-going artificial reef project right off the jetty of Smart. the project appears to be very successful based on the colonisation which appears to be taking place. However visibility is not that great tho' I must say it's good enough.

Shore diving off Smart is excellent muck diving although there is a resident school of jacks and some other bigger reef creatures. What' ther to see ? Lots !!!!
Frog fishes ,crocodile fish varieties of nudibranch sponge crabs, decorator crabs, - Just to much to list. I saw 6 different species of morrays.

If you are going to Mabul , I would suggest that you do not miss the opportunity of diving Sipadan.

Smart offer unlimited shore dives off their jetty. Any time is good. I particularly enjoyed the last night dive.

Ask about the tides when you arrive. Several times when I considered having a shore dive the tides were very low and I couldn't.
There's so much to see it's impossible to make a comprehensive list. just a note, I stayed at sipidan water village which is around the corner from smart but with common varieties of creatures.

Dear Tzeyap,

Do you think staying and diving with Smart Resort nice or not?

Could you share more about your experience of this trip?

Thanks.

Bearteacher

I stayed in the Water Bungalows at SMART in March. They were great. Very nice accomodations, separate restaurant, and they pick you up at the Water Bungalows. When I was there they were adding a bar and some type of dive shop. I am going back there in August. They put some tanks out near the steps and you can pick up a tank and hop into the water for a "shore" dive.

Aren' t they some way isolated from the remain of th island? is the shore dive interesting just there? are they far from the regular resort?

thnak you

The Water Bungalows are on the other side of the island (which is not very wide) and then a ways out over the water. It takes ten minutes to walk from the water bungalows to the main SMART area. They give you nice bicycles that you can ride in which case it is a couple of minutes. The shore diving is OK but not fabulous. You can dive allow the shallow reef - pipefish, some nudibranchs, other small stuff. If your navigation is good you can swim out to some artificial reef structures a little farther off the reef.

beach entry from the original dive centre will be difficult during low tide. Besides one would have to swim a long way out to the end of the channel. I wouldn't recommend this. On this side of the resort , take the boat.

However shore dive entry from the water bungalow jetty is easy at any time and the artificial reef is just a few kicks away. This site does not require high skills in navigation as there are ropes and lines to guide divers back to point of entry ie. jetty.
Diving off the water bungalows is not restricted to guests staying at water bungalows. It is only a 10 minute stroll from the main dive centre and the resort staff will transport all dive equipment and tanks to and fro for guests without charge. Just inform them on number of tanks required. Unlimited shore dives is offerred without dive guide.

Lots to see at the artificial reef. Dive starts at approx 6ft and bottom out at 60ft. Beyond 60 there not very much to see.

Back
Top Bottom