how about dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scdiver42863

Reaction score
well, since nobody wants to talk about dive shops, how about favorite shore dive sites. i'm particularly interested in deeper water from a shore dive. i am coming up from monterey and am going to miss the infamous monastery beach which has extreme deep water very close to shore. any recommendations?

we have plenty of deep sea diving hood canal has low current and easy depth from shore. wife and I dive the san juans more depth than you can dream of ling cod as big as you, octopus that will scare you out of a drysiut at depth.

sounds good voodoo, i'll be there at the end of december, care to go diving? looking for some serious folks. thanks for the reply.

A great many of the dive sites, even in Seattle, can get deep. As an example, the deepest point in Puget Sound, mere miles from shore, is more than 900 feet (it goes without saying you're not going to dive THAT!)

I have mapped more than 320 dive sites in the State of Washington (similar to my site that lists dive shops.)

Click Here and then click on the menu item "Dive Locations (Puget Sound).

I have dived about 100 of these locations.

Rossiapacifica

scdiver42863:
well, since nobody wants to talk about dive shops, how about favorite shore dive sites. i'm particularly interested in deeper water from a shore dive. i am coming up from monterey and am going to miss the infamous monastery beach which has extreme deep water very close to shore. any recommendations?
Well, within easy driving distance of where you'll be moving ...

Cove 2 in West Seattle is a good place to start ... although it levels off at about 120-130 unless you go out a ways. Many tech agencies use it for a training site due to the lack of currents. I mostly keep my dives at 110 fsw and above here, but below that is a great place to encounter six-gill sharks.

The walls off of Mukilteo City Park go very deep ... a lot of tech divers like to dive there. I've been told it's not difficult to reach depths approaching 300 fsw within swimming distance from shore.

Three Tree Point can take you down pretty deep as well. My deepest dive there to date is 128 fsw, and the bottom just kept sloping.

There are walls and wrecks in places like Hood Canal, the San Juan Islands, and Vancouver Island that go much deeper, but you'll need a boat to get there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just to add a few more. You'd have no problem getting to 200 fsw at Weatherwatch Park on the other side of Alki, or at Lobstershop Wall in Tacoma, or at Sund Rock on Hood Canal.

lime kiln lighthouse on san juan island is a great deep wall dive, in 98 I stuck a co worker in there around 42-48' the wall stops after a minute I cruised down the wall like a bullet I love that rush it always reminds me when I TAKE MY DAD'S YAHCT OUT TO A OLD WRECK ON LAKE SUPERIOR. Well I got all narced up enjoyed the wall when i got back up there was a grey whale up by Jim, and I had to stay at my deco. Great easy deep dive.

In the gulf islands on galliano island in the center,are cabins, across the street is a deep wall dive. Go island hopping to different dives, its a great time for deep shore diving.

Edit- I was going to post more dives but I think enough have probably been posted at this point until you get up here.

After you take a dip in Nea bay stop by salt creek state park, Find the road that goes south and ends up north of lake crescent, turn on east beach to 101, go west around a few corners to a pull off,take 5 steps to any depth you desire. 100' vis at times,there is an old car,and also a crane that ran off the road.go west to the ranger station they are really cool and tell you where there at. Its agreat place to wash your gear, bring a dive flag its a law to have one in a national forrest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom