How a mantis shrimp works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bygolly

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just saw my first mantis shrimp while diving Lady Elliot Island on the GBR. I had heard stories that they are wildly powerful and can break the glass of aquariums or the lenses or domes of underwater cameras when cornered. Whilst snooping around to find out more about them I came across this:

Sheila Patek clocks the fastest animals | Video on TED.com

Very interesting stuff....you'll learn how they work.

BTW...Ted.com is addicting....enter with caution. ;-)

Thanks a lot. I just saw Michael Spector's talk singing the praises of science and the danger od science denial. These TED talks are amazing.

Thanx for posting this, really interesting!!

My wife and I absolutely loved BOTH videos. We are planning some open occean trips this year to dive with the mola molas.

Thanks so much.

Bygolly-I saw that one immediately after the Stomatopod one and was impressed enough to visit her page and write her an email.

Bygolly-I saw that one immediately after the Stomatopod one and was impressed enough to visit her page and write her an email.

I didn't think to do that....I am looking at it now. Thanx SLF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom